Removing Vacuum Lines (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,

I have an '85 FJ60 with a weber 38 carb, that I hope to upgrade to EFI eventually. I still have the mess of vacuum lines connected, even though they literally do nothing. I am doing my research to find out which lines, valves, etc. I can just remove. I live at sea level and have no plan to drive it to a higher altitude. Can someone just kinda tell me what I need to keep?

REMOVE:
HAC
Both BVSV's (Can I leave this in the thermostat housing just not connect vacuum lines to it?)
Metal Spaghetti Thingy
All The EGR crap
Smog Pump + Related Components

INSTALL/LEAVE IN PLACE
Distributor Advance straight from the carburetor
Charcoal Canister
VCV for EVAP
Man-A-Fre Desmog kit (pulley, EGR Block-off, AIR Plugs, BVSV Plugs)

What else do I need to remove?

BIG QUESTION: How do I run EVAP? Where do I connect the purge to?

Last thing: Look at the right of the picture. What is that circular thingy behind the headlight reservoir with vacuum lines running to it? It's not in any of the desmog or emissions diagrams.

IMG_4437.JPG

aftermarket cruise control thingy?

Consider waiting until you can upgrade to EFI as mentioned. It will clean up most of the items reference. Here are few pics of a desmog / Sniper install I just completed so you can see what is removed compared to your photo. Maybe this will help to see what you can eliminate immediately? BTW, all smog parts removed have been donated.

engine.jpeg

driver side.jpeg

passenger.jpeg

What is your oil filter setup?

Thanks guys. For an oil filter, i'm running the stock huge one, and the PO put a secondary one on there too (silver can next to the original filter) that I also change. How should I route my EVAP and Distributor Vent?

Hard to see from the picture but I thought that silver can was like a cartridge style vs a spin on.

Also really hard to see the circular thing behind the washer reservoir but it kind of looks like it could be a vacuum reservoir...as in a place to store vacuum if that makes any sense.

1585760153404.png
Basically its just a place to store the vacuum...usually to run some sort of accessory.

Thanks. That's exactly what it is. Not sure why it's there..... Nothing too special about my engine and accessories. Maybe the PO was trying to cover up vacuum leaks or something with a vacuum reservoir.....

@ToyotaMatt did you mean to post that Vacuum gage install kit in this thread?

hi seth

if you omit the whole vacuum gauge topic , this KIT has a special T or Y union , as well as

2 nice lengths of OEM Vacuum line / hose , that can benefit a Holly Sniper install greatly ,

i have never seen a 3mm Steel yellow zinc T or Y fitting ever offered anywhere before ?

this may help @bigboiimigel out , in some positive way :wrench::)

hi seth

if you omit the whole vacuum gauge topic , this KIT has a special T or Y union , as well as

2 nice lengths of OEM Vacuum line / hose , that can benefit a Holly Sniper install greatly ,

i have never seen a 3mm Steel yellow zinc T or Y fitting ever offered anywhere before ?

this may help @bigboiimigel out , in some positive way :wrench::)

Gotcha, was just checking. I know I've replied to threads before thinking i was posting in another thread. I wasn't quite sure what the connection was so I figured I'd just ask in case you had done something similar ;)

Gotcha, was just checking. I know I've replied to threads before thinking i was posting in another thread. I wasn't quite sure what the connection was so I figured I'd just ask in case you had done something similar ;)

thats kool .....

if you Visit @wngrog ' s threads , he recently installed a Sniper Kit on a Mustard color
76 FJ40 if i recall correctly ,

he utilized the Unicorn Yellow zinc Y / T fitting during the install in a unique way , that

made the Sniper install text book perfect .....

ill post the link here when i can fine it ......

matt

thats kool .....

if you Visit @wngrog ' s threads , he recently installed a Sniper Kit on a Mustard color
76 FJ40 if i recall correctly ,

he utilized the Unicorn Yellow zinc Y / T fitting during the install in a unique way , that

made the Sniper install text book perfect .....

ill post the link here when i can fine it ......

matt

Awesome. All my sniper plans are on hold...that whole uncertainty of employment thing has a funny way of doing that. And given that while I do have a safety net built into my finances I still find it better to play it safe and optimize the padding in the vaults.

Awesome. All my sniper plans are on hold...that whole uncertainty of employment thing has a funny way of doing that. And given that while I do have a safety net built into my finances I still find it better to play it safe and optimize the padding in the vaults.

yea , i hear ya

i shut down my store for a few days just to evaluate and take it all in

i have reduced vendor access all over the globe now , ?

especially in the middle east ....

one of my business partners and T-TEN Colleague's Asif , who lives in the UAE
( Emirates ) says is like a ghost town

and IRAN got hit hard , and is hiding all the stats / specs from the west scientist

he said when they postponed Friday Prayers , he knew it was VERY serious

that has not happened since WWII when the Germans invaded North Africa and middle east he said.

thats pretty Deep ................:confused:

Global Pandemic , just like the first 2 episodes or the Walking Dead on AMC ...:skull:

hey seth

here is the Sniper thread i refer to above

its got Some Great TECH , Nolen is a Master on this subject ...

All my sniper plans are on hold...that whole uncertainty of employment thing has a funny way of doing that

Yeah, same here. Just trying to do the low-cost stuff like take out vacuum lines. Hard to get it all done at once between Zoom calls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom