Removing an Inboard Clutch on a STIHL Chain Saw (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hoboy. Perhaps I got ahead of myself....

Stopped off at the dealer today and got the plastic piston stop. Then promptly broke the end off in the cylinder while trying to remove the clutch. Exhaust had to come out to remove the broken piece.

I'm at a loss. Suggestions? Try again?

Bottom picture of Post #4 and the Top picture of Post #5 is the correct orientation of the piston stop when installed correctly.

The end should not point towards the carburetor, it should point up.

Flip the piston stop around and try again with the other end.

It was pointed in the right direction... that bad boy is TIGHT. I will try it again.

Ok, it worked that time. It helps to have someone to hold the saw when you're breaking it loose.

Here's what it looked like underneath:

309lqua.jpg

So I cleaned up a bit and found the rest of the saw. I removed the brake by removing the small bolt on the bottom of the saw and carefully prying it out of the tabs and slot.

Next I removed the two bolts holding in the oiler.

A check of the plastic gear reveals that it appears trashed. What do you think?

sdmfef.jpg

So... the question is... how did it get like this? Is the oiler hosed as well? Apparently the sprocket drum drives the arm that drives this gear and presumably this gear drives the gear indicated by the red arrow in the picture below, which in turn pumps the oil, correct? The gear doesn't seem to want to turn when I use, say, a screwdriver tip to apply pressure. If the oiler seized, that would explain why the plastic gear is ground up. Do I need to replace the oiler?

2coht9w.jpg

Thank you so much for your help so far! :wrench:

If the driven gear in the oil pump is tight you can pull it apart and clean the crud out of it.

The oiler drive gear is worn. Looks like the pump locked up or you were running thick oil on a very cold day.

Appears to be seized. Haven't run it many cold days and I used winter bar oil when I did. How can I take it apart?

The brass looking plug on the right hand side of your picture comes out. There should be a roll pin that hold the adjust screw in. Remove it and the adjuster screw. The pump piston should slide right out.

stuck again... I punched out the roll pin and removed the adjuster screw. The oiler gear will turn now, at least but I can't get the plug or piston out. I should just be able to push it out by pusching on the plug lip with the punch or screwdriver tip, shouldn't I?

Last edited:
Whew!

Managed to punch the plug out from the inside. Hopefully I did not lose any parts. Out came the following.

The plug
The gear/piston
A washer
A spring

What am I looking for?

Thanks!

Everything looked good but:

1) I looked at a parts diagram and there should have been TWO washers in the oil pump. I must have lost one when disassembling the first time.

2) When I cleaned and reassembled the pump, the pump gear would only turn some before getting stuck. You could turn it back the other way but it's as if it's getting hung up in the pump somewhere so that it won't turn freely as it should.

3) I then managed to lose the spring while fooling around with it trying to disassemble/reassemble to make it work.

:whoops:

So I ordered a new pump and plastic drive gear so I can cut this weekend. $100 :crybaby:

I may have been able to just order a new spring and washers but I didn't want to find out later that I still needed a new pump and wind up losing the weekend. Bummer.

Thank you so much for your help... now about my 029.... :D

What does that wire on the worm drive gear is supposed to be attached to? I'm confused..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom