Removing 1HD FT camshaft timing pulley (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I am in the process of doing my timing belt and figured I would do the waterpump as well as it has never been done and the car has 350 000 ks on it. Now i have a 1HD FT engine in my 80 series and I have come to the point of removing the camshaft pulley. The manual says that you need to put a shifter on the hex section of the camshaft to hold it and undo the nut on the timing pulley. I have seen this being done on 1HZ engines but with the 24 valve engine there is part of a bridge on the back side of the hex that prevents me from getting a good grip on this camshaft.

I am sure other people have done this job before, so I was wondering if anyone knows about this problem and how they fixed it.

Regards,

Danny

In the past i have used the old timing belt to grip the pulley and given it a quick zap with a small rattle gun to loosen the bolt. The a 2 leg puller with a leg ground down to carefully pop the pulley off the taper. Be carefully using a puller, apparently the pulleys are prone to cracking under force.

Thanks mate, you are a legend. I wrapped the timing belt around it and used one of them chain wrenches that you use to take drill steels apart. Was heaps easy. Now I have come to the next problem though, my gear puller jaws don't fit between the backing plate and the pulley. Guess I will have to get a gear puller with thinner jaws.

Guys I desperately need some help with this my pulley isn’t coming off…

I’m struggling to find a puller that fits (I have 5 none work)

I might need to grind the legs down as mentioned

The pulley will be replaced at this stage.

th-2344913488.jpg

We got there… there was so much red loctite in there…

Side note how much rotation do you have before you start hitting valves?

I foolishly followed the FML and took the belt off before the bolt, it went over two teeth anti clockwise. I guess I’ll find out tomorrow when the heads off :(
you can go slow till you feel it touch I think its about 1/4 turn but if you go slow you wont damage anything

you can go slow till you feel it touch I think its about 1/4 turn but if you go slow you wont damage anything

Ya, I had one that came to me completely out of phase, took some time to get it back in phase. Slow and easy is the way.

Cheers

you can also lock the old belt on itself so it cannot rotate.. and use an impact wrench... if no impact you can use a wrench and hammer to simulate the "impacting force" it will eventually come off.

I've never had to use heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom