Removed starter, found a lot of gunk inside the flywheel housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1994 Prado kzj78. Has anyone seen this before? I’m thinking a very slow oil leak over time which has gummed up.

764E01B4-D19A-4DD2-B006-B43BAC9278F9.jpeg

I’ve seen some gunk built up in bellhousings, but usually only 1/8-3/16”. That amount is beyond what I could have imagined! I suspect you’re right about the slow oil leak, it could be either engine or transmission oil, or possibly both, mixed with a copious amount of dust and mud. Is the little rubber flywheel inspection cover still present?

I’ve seen some gunk built up in bellhousings, but usually only 1/8-3/16”. That amount is beyond what I could have imagined! I suspect you’re right about the slow oil leak, it could be either engine or transmission oil, or possibly both, mixed with a copious amount of dust and mud. Is the little rubber flywheel inspection cover still present?

The inspection cover looks intact although a bit hardened (unless it’s supposed to be like that). Definitely a couple good globs came out. I still have more cleaning to do but at least this leak looks manageable.

CC756888-FC98-4D5C-BEF8-C39188D1F8C1.jpeg

Damn, that's a lot of junk...

Does it smell like gear/atf oil or engine oil? Clutch slipping?

Probably rear seal. Possibly bearing retainer seal (trans). Maybe both.

I should have given it a better sniff before tossing. Clutch is good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom