(reman) calipers, rotors and pads (and speedbleeders)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The majority of your posts referred to replacing/rebuilding calipers. Calipers are not rotors. It's difficult to sort through your word salad posts to figure out what you actually are trying to accomplish here.

Calipers live on the outside of the hub assembly and require nothing more than removing the wheel. Read the FSM.
If you want to replace rear rotors, nothing beyond removing the wheel and caliper is required. Read the FSM.
If you want to replace front rotors. then you're removing the rotating hub assembly which exposes the front wheel bearings and seals. Read the FSM.

In any case, you shouldn't be relying on "some guy" on the internet. You should be reading the Toyota FSM where everything is explained in agonizing detail.
ok. i appreciate this.
i probably was t clear.
i do read the FSM. i skim it.
then i read the charm dot io stuff.
then i put the ABS stuff aside hoping i don't have to deal too much with it.
the truck is parked because there is a grinding noise. so the idea was to buy rebuilt calipers to save money but there's only seem to be available for front or rear or neither. most parts places online (or anywhere?) these days have some parts and don't have others. so i am building a parts order in multiple places.
after finding a decent price (like more than half what is on partsouq - excluding their shipping) on calipers and rotors i just decided to buy "all new".
so at this point i am "just" completing the order by spending an extra $100 on an LSPV (and hopefully any other bits i should get new for LSPV?) but also someone said to do FRONT wheel bearings if i am doing front rotors? or do i need to do more?

ok. i appreciate this.
i probably was t clear.
i do read the FSM. i skim it.
then i read the charm dot io stuff.
then i put the ABS stuff aside hoping i don't have to deal too much with it.
the truck is parked because there is a grinding noise. so the idea was to buy rebuilt calipers to save money but there's only seem to be available for front or rear or neither. most parts places online (or anywhere?) these days have some parts and don't have others. so i am building a parts order in multiple places.
after finding a decent price (like more than half what is on partsouq - excluding their shipping) on calipers and rotors i just decided to buy "all new".
so at this point i am "just" completing the order by spending an extra $100 on an LSPV (and hopefully any other bits i should get new for LSPV?) but also someone said to do FRONT wheel bearings if i am doing front rotors? or do i need to do more?
Just replace every part on the damn thing, follow the FSM to R/R and make more lists.

the truck is parked because there is a grinding noise. i do read the FSM. i skim it.
And this right here ^^^^ is what I don't understand. Your lack of a logical and systematic approach makes me bang my head on the desk.
The FSM is not to be "skimmed through". It is an instruction manual that is meant to be read and understood. Is it perfect? No. But almost every question that you have asked could have been answered by reading the FSM.

You hear a noise.
Did you diagnose where the noise is coming from?
Did it start suddenly or did it become worse over time?
Are you certain it's related to brakes?
If yes, what is the condition of the pads? Maybe they're just worn.
If yes, maybe there's a small rock stuck between the backing plate and the rotor.

Maybe, just maybe, you should do a bit of diagnostics before making lists, buying parts, watching videos, posting threads, and rebuilding the entire truck.
And read the freakin FSM.

And this right here ^^^^ is what I don't understand. Your lack of a logical and systematic approach makes me bang my head on the desk.
The FSM is not to be "skimmed through". It is an instruction manual that is meant to be read and understood. Is it perfect? No. But almost every question that you have asked could have been answered by reading the FSM.

You hear a noise.
If yes, maybe there's a small rock stuck between the backing plate and the rotor.

Maybe, just maybe, you should do a bit of diagnostics before making lists, buying parts, watching videos, posting threads, and rebuilding the entire truck.
hey JH.
i'll message you. i've read all the documents and i will re-read it again before trying to find time to do this work. i'm just trying to get in a parts order before finding the time - and hopefully a second pair of hands - to work on it.
maybe it's hard for you to remember doing this job the first time i have no idea.
also i'm not totally sure why we don't already have this posted here so if i can finish mine i will post mine of it is permitted.
the plan is to do new brakes, new rotors, new pads, new fluid, and 7 extended brake lines.
it seems to me for $100 i may as well do LSPV.
a bunch of folks have said to do more work on the front wheels - like bearings or more - but i am getting conflicting advice on this so maybe i will just get in a parts order now and then study up some more and see if i need to order more parts.
or maybe for $1500 plus parts plus two uber rides i will see if i can find a ship that will work on my rig. the first shop i took it into when it first started happening won't work on it even if i was to fork over the cash.
that's why i'm trying to get a parts order together on here.
maybe i'll post what i have some far and someone can chime in on what i'm missing.

here is this stuff from charm dot io.
does anyone know where i find the part where i take off the rotor? i didn't find it in the brakes section.
ALSO, can anyone help me with the terminology here? what's a spindle? "knuckle rebuild" i had planned to grt
to when i need it so i am not into the knuckles when i tell off the front rotor? or what parts/job am i into when i remove and replace front rotors?
also where do i find wheel bearing replacement? and how is front wheel bearing replacement different from rear exactly please?

IMG_2556.png

IMG_2557.png

IMG_2558.png

IMG_2559.png

OK. so in steering and suspension they have "Wheel Hub" for front? and i am "into the wheel hub" when i remove and replace front rotors is that right?
anyone know if there are parts here i need to pick up if i am doing front rotors?
(EDIT: oops "wheel hub" pics below...)

Last edited:
You'll read for hours on Charm before you'll read an actual FSM, yet the AI is pulling and showing pics of the FSM.

WTF is wrong with you?

You hear a noise.

there is grinding coming from the front left wheel. i can't drive it so it is parked. it's my daily. the shop i took it to said there was uneven wear on the pads (all of them to more or less extent) and rears are more worn than fronts.
they are a reputable shop local to me that i was hoping to have handle jobs i really don't want to do or don't have time for but they don't want to work on old rigs. it doesn't fit their "business model".
the plan was to do reman calipers and brake lines and pads but it seems like it makes sense to just do new rotors at this point.
truck has 250K on it and the brakes are in unknown condition so i figured to just replace rotors too (and anything else that would be good to do since it is brakes).
but pulling front rotors seems like it's a bigger job on this vehicle than on others.
i mean its a big job ANYWAY for a lot of guys that don't work on automobiles so there's also that.

Why are you posting FSM pictures? You made it clear that they won’t help you; nor will they help anyone else.

If you are a visual person, I would suggest the following: jack up the front left corner of the truck, use a jack stand, have the wheel off, and look at things and compare to the pix you already have on your phone. Check the thickness of the brake pads. Are they worn evenly? Check the rotor - does it have any marks or grooves, or is it smooth? If it is smooth and even, how thick is it? How do the numbers compare to the instructions in the FSM? Are there any sign of leaks? Perhaps you want to unbolt the caliper (leave the brake line connected for now!) to get a better look at the pads. If you see any issues, make notes of them. Before doing anything, check the other side. If this is all too overwhelming, then put the tire(s) back on, put the truck back on the ground, torque the lug nuts, then take it to a shop.

There are 6 TLCA clubs in Texas. Reach out to those folks for help. At the very least they might be able to point you towards a decent shop.
ok. i was trying to bring in parts.
partly i was just trying to figure out if this wheel bearing kit from SLEE for the front wheels completes the normal rotor, caliper, pad order. or if there are other parts for the front i need.
it seems like from the pics above you have to open up the front hubs to do the front rotors.?
-
but also i suppose to make sure i understand the terms spindle versus hubs versus knuckle so i'm sure what terms people are using.

IMG_2615.png

dude, you really need to stop looking on the internet and just physically look at your car with an FSM in your hand. Put it on Jackstands and pull the front wheel off and match the part in the FSM to what you see on your car. Then take off another piece, match the next layer, etc.

Some people can just look a diagram and envision how it all goes together, some need to look at their car with the FSM. It's okay to not be a master technician, nearly everyone here is a hobbyist.

dude, you really need to stop looking on the internet and just physically look at your car with an FSM in your hand. Put it on Jackstands and pull the front wheel off and match the part in the FSM to what you see on your car. Then take off another piece, match the next layer, etc.

Some people can just look a diagram and envision how it all goes together, some need to look at their car with the FSM. It's okay to not be a master technician, nearly everyone here is a hobbyist.
thanks man.
i talked to amory at slee.
i think the lowdown as far as i can tell is that when you do front brakes you also need to do a "hub service" (what the FSM should call it) which is also called a "front wheel bearing service" (what slee calls it). this is done at 10K and can be done with their kit which i posted above.
these parts are super hard to find in the fiche but if someone has a list of part numbers for this service or if someone has a thread that shows the job in pictures that would be great.
i find the step by step walk through a on here helpful in a way i don't really find videos helpful. also as you pointed out it is not so easy to "just read the damn FSM".
then on the front you are part ways into a "front axle service" (AKA knuckle rebuild) where you do cone washers and hub studs and the whole messy knuckle rebuild job.
obviously hub service is more work in front and you do front wheel bearings.
if you want to really put in a lot of time and money you could keep going in front and do a knuckle rebuild.
but on rears you could just swap out the rotor when you do the caliper. on the front you can't do that.
so right now i am thinking i might try to see if i can get away with measuring rotor thickness and just doing calipers and pads.
at least that is what i am getting. happy to be corrected.

thanks man.
i talked to amory at slee.
i think the lowdown as far as i can tell is that when you do front brakes you also need to do a "hub service" (what the FSM should call it) which is also called a "front wheel bearing service" (what slee calls it). this is done at 10K and can be done with their kit which i posted above.
these parts are super hard to find in the fiche but if someone has a list of part numbers for this service or if someone has a thread that shows the job in pictures that would be great.
i find the step by step walk through a on here helpful in a way i don't really find videos helpful. also as you pointed out it is not so easy to "just read the damn FSM".
then on the front you are part ways into a "front axle service" (AKA knuckle rebuild) where you do cone washers and hub studs and the whole messy knuckle rebuild job.
obviously hub service is more work in front and you do front wheel bearings.
if you want to really put in a lot of time and money you could keep going in front and do a knuckle rebuild.
but on rears you could just swap out the rotor when you do the caliper. on the front you can't do that.
so right now i am thinking i might try to see if i can get away with measuring rotor thickness and just doing calipers and pads.
at least that is what i am getting. happy to be corrected.

Buy more parts…orrr go outside and take the wheel off your cruiser to see if you have access to the rotor mounting bolts without digging into the hub.

if you want to know all the part numbers for front axle, search “front axle cheatsheet” here on Mud. There’s a thread by Darkness circa July 2013 with a great visual (from none other than the FSM)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom