Rebuilding Calipers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CharlieS

GOLD Star
Threads
Question for anyone that rebuilds their own calipers: what do you like to use to lubricate the square seals and dust seals?

I believe the toyota rebuild kit I ordered (04479-60020) has a packet of stuff in it (arriving tomorrow), but I want to pick up a larger quantity.

I need to rebuild my spare calipers for the 200 series too.

I've heard people recommend Red Rubber Grease, and tried a half dozen local parts stores with no luck. I can buy it online, but it won't arrive until next week.

It'd be great if there was something I could find locally.

Question for anyone that rebuilds their own calipers: what do you like to use to lubricate the square seals and dust seals?
I've been using Amsoil moly grease for all the rubber and metal parts. Probably for the last 15 years or so.
The little packets that Toyota provides isn't enough to do it the way I like.
All rubber, all pistons, all slide pins, back sides of the pads, anti squeal shims, all get a thin coat. Sometimes not so thin.
It's like Franks Red Hot. I put that sh*t on everyting.

Last edited:
Would the Sylglyde stuff that NAPA has work for you ? That’s what I’ve always used on the pins and clips/holders/sliders.

Would the Sylglyde stuff that NAPA has work for you ? That’s what I’ve always used on the pins and clips/holders/sliders.
I'm not sure. Part of why I was checking with 'mud. I have a tube of Sylglide in the shop.

The Red Rubber Grease is made of vegetable (castor?) oil with no petroleum in it. I guess it is better for the rubber bits.

I'm mostly concerned with the interface between the square rubber seal and the piston. But like Jon says, it can go all over.

Last edited:
+1 on Sylglyde

I worked at Brake Manufacturer and we used Brake Fluid (DOT 3 at the Time). All the Seals were NBR so anything Compatible would Work. The Piston and Piston Area need to be Absolutely Clean.

I worked at Brake Manufacturer and we used Brake Fluid (DOT 3 at the Time). All the Seals were NBR so anything Compatible would Work. The Piston and Piston Area need to be Absolutely Clean.
Thanks for this additional insight. I'll make sure to keep things spotless.

The small packets of red rubber grease you get in the rebuild kits aren't big enough, but you can order a tube separately. The rubber grease Toyota use is a Cosmo product, separate part number is 08887-01206.
toyota-0888701206-1477385265231-big.jpg

The small packets of red rubber grease you get in the rebuild kits aren't big enough, but you can order a tube separately. The rubber grease Toyota use is a Cosmo product, separate part number is 47265-20050.
toyota-0888701206-1477385265231-big.jpg
That sounds great. The part number pulls up a master cylinder boot on google though.

Maybe: 08887-01206

Oh, this is probably overkill for what you're doing, but I did a full brake system rebuild thread here:

Might be some helpful tips in there.

Also, the section from the FSM mentions "lithium glycol based grease":

1712796831697.png

Oh, this is probably overkill for what you're doing, but I did a full brake system rebuild thread here:

Might be some helpful tips in there.
Excellent thread. Thank you. Nice work on your rebuild.

I wasn't going to split the halves, because of the lack of availability of seals, but with your post, I just ordered some of those "seals between caliper halves" from Moss (583-820) that are mentioned in the thread so I can do it right.

Sounds like it's another Molykote product like the "Toyota Body Grease". I'm sure there are plenty of things that would work just as well.

I lucked out, my dealer had the stuff in stock!
IMG_5270.jpeg

The rebuild went great. Thanks for the advice everyone.

IMG_5281.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom