Relay rod for saginaw (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
A pm got me thinking about this question.

So this rod has to be either bought to size or fabbed up.

If you wanted to reuse your stock relay rod (rod from box to steering arm) What size tap would you use. Are there pitman arms that can use a stock cruiser ball joint and if so what is the thread size of the stock ball joint?

I guess any cruiser year would work.

Post up if you have any info

1 Type year of vehicle for pitman arm
2 Type of ball joint used with thread size
3 Did you use a modified cruiser relay rod. If not what did you use?
4 did you have to taper the pitman arm to fit the ball end (if so what size did you use?

Don't know if this will help you, but here's what I did on my Scout box conversion. Figured out that I needed a relay rod 37" to make it work. Ordered a dropped pitman arm and TRE from Mark. Took my Toy rod and cut it, added a small section from a Jeep ( they basically butted up ) for the TRE I got from Mark , inserted a grade 8 bolt, welded them together, then sleeved the whole assembly with a piece of tubing and welded the ends up. Works good so far. HTH, Al

my original setup was 68 fj40 with soa and a homemade double arm. we cut the middle out of the rod, welded in a head bolt with the head cut off. can't remember the exact measurements. i had the tie rod end from a mid 80's pickup and it matched the rod and pitman arm. think the box came from an early 90's tahoe type suv. with the exzception of bending right past where the bolt was welded in worked great.

i'm now hi steer with 80 series tie rod ends and a ricebilt rod

i can't remember exactly what i did .but i cut my rod down to 26 1/4 inches bought a tie rod end that fit my sag box .tapped the end of the tie rod SAE
(i think to match threads) took a grider wheel and grinded the groove in the rod threaded the tierod end into the rod tightened clamp done ,also using double arm on SOA . something like that

i got my relay rod from BTB for 40 $ and go the TRE from a 75 CJ (thats what i ordered it from NAPA as) it was 25... so for 65 dollars i had the setup i needed.. couldn't find a cheaper/safer way.

here's a pic of my new rod with hi steer. could've gone a couple inches longer.

Last edited:
well, maybe new rod could've only gone one inch, but it works.

here's the old rod that i used with the double arm (this was why i took it off :D )

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom