Registering out of state relic (1 Viewer)

forrest5000

SILVER Star
So.... your experience may vary. I took my paperwork from the dealer to the DMV today. I had it insured the moment it left the dealership just in case. So here was the process for a 1981 FJ43 purchased from Gateway Classics (Orlando showroom, so FL title)
  • Told her what I had and she asked me for all the paperwork from the dealer and my license
  • The insurance info was in the paperwork
  • She highlighted a few pages, asked me sign the title, then another document, not sure what it was
  • Asked me if I wanted a plate, I said sure!
  • Told the taxed owed, paid that
  • Asked me to select a plate type
  • Took a 12-21 sticker and put that on the plate
  • Printed the registration and handed it all back to me with a "enjoy your new ride"
Thats it. No mistery inspections, nothing else. I asked if I needed any other inspections and she said "no, you are all set until next December, title will come in the mail".
you will have to have it inspected, the vin will be flagged . happened with all mine.

izzyandsue

Izzy
SILVER Star
I ran out of there, got my plates and stickers.....

But seriously, there is no website that I have found that explains the process. If you guys hadn't mentioned anything from your experience, I would have never known about the other secret process. The DMV site just states to register it like any other car, including the odometer reading statement. I was concerned about that since the dealer I bought it from said "you wont need it" from their experience selling to NC residents, and they were right, she told me I don't need it due to age of car, and don't even needed a safety inspection.
And I rushed to get a horn.....

fj40alex

SILVER Star
So.... your experience may vary. I took my paperwork from the dealer to the DMV today. I had it insured the moment it left the dealership just in case. So here was the process for a 1981 FJ43 purchased from Gateway Classics (Orlando showroom, so FL title)
  • Told her what I had and she asked me for all the paperwork from the dealer and my license
  • The insurance info was in the paperwork
  • She highlighted a few pages, asked me sign the title, then another document, not sure what it was
  • Asked me if I wanted a plate, I said sure!
  • Told the taxed owed, paid that
  • Asked me to select a plate type
  • Took a 12-21 sticker and put that on the plate
  • Printed the registration and handed it all back to me with a "enjoy your new ride"
Thats it. No mistery inspections, nothing else. I asked if I needed any other inspections and she said "no, you are all set until next December, title will come in the mail".

Maybe. I did the same - twice. Then I received letters from Raleigh saying I had X number of days to get the vehicles inspected or the license plate tag would be invalidated. One of these vehicles was already titled in my name but from out of state. I ignored the letters but then it became impossible to get the next years sticker. Hopefully you can avoid but but I suspect you will get the letter too. Front end DMV workers are like TSA - they are their to move the line along.

fj40alex

SILVER Star
Here is a sample letter. Hopefully @Roxx is correct since it's foreign. But I know private party from out of state requires the inspection - despite what the counter worker says

image.jpg

fj40alex

SILVER Star
Here is a sample letter. Hopefully @Roxx is correct since it's foreign. But I know private party from out of state requires the inspection - despite what the counter worker says

View attachment 2531247
Should add the DMV office gave me a license plate prior to getting this letter. They get the fees up front then push back on completing the process. Makes them more money than to turn folks (and $) away initially.

izzyandsue

Izzy
SILVER Star
Should add the DMV office gave me a license plate prior to getting this letter. They get the fees up front then push back on completing the process. Makes them more money than to turn folks (and $) away initially.
Thanks! Will be waiting for it. I didn’t buy private party, but from a dealer that has showrooms in about 12 states, HQ in Chicago I think. Maybe that makes a difference? my wife was amazed that they would just let me drive it legally. I need to fix the brakes...

RedHeadedStepChild

Proudly wearing my MC1R mutation!
SILVER Star
When I bought The Jalopy in VT, it was too much work to get it up to snuff to pass inspection to drive legally. I’d just sneak it up the road and hop into the woods near the house- actually the place I tried to take you and Richard that had unfortunately been turned into a no vehicle access state forest.

When I got to NC, it really didn’t matter how bad a P.O.S. it was. NC said, f*** it, if you want to drive something that old, we don’t care if it’s safe. Tires we in bad shape, no horn, headlights didn’t work, brakes were terrifying, puked coolant everywhere, no flashers. Didn’t matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom