Refreshed my P Steering fluid in 2 minutes (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
While putting new belts on the Sube today, I remembered the power steering on it had felt like bubbles in the line a couple times over the last few months. So, I used an oil changer for the boat that sucks oil out the dipstick tube to clean out the PS reservoir and refill it with fresh AT fluid. I'm hoping the 50% new fluid will restore the additive package and be good for the system.

While doing this, I thought I'd do the same on the 80. It's fluid came out much darker and I was glad I changed out some of the fluid this way. Quicker than a complete flush, better than nothing and worth the 2 minutes it took. Careful not to overfill as it's not a lot of fluid in there.

IdahoDoug

I do the same thing every other oil change with a turkey baster. Bob

Guys,

When I checked my PS fluid I noticed that it's NOT the typical DEXRON II ATF color of bright red. What does Toyota use for this fluid? The previous owner was diligent about maintenance so I'm sure it's a OEM brand/type fluid. I'd like to stick to the same game plan.

It's Dexron ATF.

If it doesn't look red, it's because it's old and worn out. Even a diligent owner would never change the PS fluid. Ya gotta be truly anal to do this :D It's not even mentioned in the maintenance AFAIK. Change it if, as I do, you expect to get 500,000 miles out of the vehicle.

IdahoDoug

When I rebuilt my pump and voided the whole system it was BLACK and nasty.

Every other fluid had records and the previous owner was "anal" about maintaining the truck.

I would have to say that PS fluid is often overlooked.

I would also say that complete replacement of brake fluid falls into a similar category...

I did that too hehe.

change it to valvoline synthetic -- that'll get you kudos abound from your cruiser... :)

Ooh, I DID joint the right list! Brakes were converted to Valvoline synth last year. If you're gonna flush it yourself, why not reward yourself by spending an extra $2 for synth, eh? Anyone considered the new ----- based brake fluid that does not absorb water at all? A mechanic buddy says not to use it except for a highly maintained racing brake system as any fluid that does get in will sit in a pool somewhere and cause rust rather than being absorbed throughout.

IdahoDoug

You mechanic is correct. That is unless the synthetic brake fluids have changed over the years. The old ones also were not compatible with Dot 3 fluid.

Cary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom