RedArc Tow Pro Brake Controller (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was finally able to get the coin tray section removed but it was a pain. After you get the small section above it, with the side mirror controls, it Is easier. I think you will need to remove the side panel that faces the door as well, but maybe not. Then it pulls out, but you have to pull it straight and slightly down. Once you have it out you should be able to get the drawer part out.
Are you calling the flip down triangular cubby the coin tray?

Are you calling the flip down triangular cubby the coin tray?

🤔 Not sure how much it differs between YMs, but in mine, right below the side view mirror controls and above the gas/hood levers, there is a drop down door that opens with a push button. That is what I am calling a coin tray, but only because it holds my coins 😀

I had an enormously hard time getting that section out.

🤔 Not sure how much it differs between YMs, but in mine, right below the side view mirror controls and above the gas/hood levers, there is a drop down door that opens with a push button. That is what I am calling a coin tray, but only because it holds my coins 😀

I had an enormously hard time getting that section out.
I’ve never gotten it out! Nice work. Did you take any pics of the back of it or where the clips are? I’d like to put a generic light controller in there someday.

I’ve never gotten it out! Nice work. Did you take any pics of the back of it or where the clips are? I’d like to put a generic light controller in there someday.

Sadly I did not get any pics. There are a bunch of clips for it though, which makes it the most difficult piece. There are three big clips at the bottom under the drawer and a couple on each side and the two at the top.

It helps if you get everything around it off and you can feel the tabs around it. You have to pull the top out a little and then pull straight back toward the drivers seat.

I did try to see if I could remove the drawer itself and although it appears possible, I quickly gave up for fear of not being able to reassemble it.

Inaugural tow. Did great. The Redarc was making me a little nervous in that it calibrated for a long time...but then worked perfectly.

I can also confirm that the Redarc TPH-021 harness worked perfectly for my 2013 LX570. I did ground the white wire that came with the eyelet.

View attachment 2599523View attachment 2599524
So glad I found this post. I just purchased an immaculate 2013 570 taking delivery next week. And I need a brake controller for....exactly the same trailer!

For those of you who installed the Redarc in the cigarette lighter tray, did you have any clearance issue with the ethernet plug and being able to open the spring-load door all the way? I tried both the right-angle plug and the straight plug and neither is fitting well, but the straight plug is better. I have the liberty model, but I assume the button dial parts and cables are identical.

For those of you who installed the Redarc in the cigarette lighter tray, did you have any clearance issue with the ethernet plug and being able to open the spring-load door all the way? I tried both the right-angle plug and the straight plug and neither is fitting well, but the straight plug is better. I have the liberty model, but I assume the button dial parts and cables are identical.
The V3 Elite does have a shorter remote box, and different style automotive connector instead of the RJ45 data cable. I'll see if anyone else chimes in on their cigarette tray install as I haven't done one myself yet.

The V3 Elite does have a shorter remote box, and different style automotive connector instead of the RJ45 data cable. I'll see if anyone else chimes in on their cigarette tray install as I haven't done one myself yet.
I see...poor assumption on my part that only the brain parts were different between the trim levels. There's definitely a clearance issue with the Liberty then, so if there's no interoperability with other parts, I may have to dremel some plastic.

Last edited:
How'd it go? Which tow pro did you end up with?
I have yet to pick one, this will likely be a winter project as I am swamped. Until then I am always open to suggestions. I do like the ashtray lighter location if feasible. I do not have a blank switch location and do not want to drill any holes in the dash garnish.

I have yet to pick one, this will likely be a winter project as I am swamped. Until then I am always open to suggestions. I do like the ashtray lighter location if feasible. I do not have a blank switch location and do not want to drill any holes in the dash garnish.
The Aussie have something like this. Have been trying to find a left hand drive version for a while but no dice. Maybe someone on here has seen one and it could help with your lack of extra spaces.

98DE0D82-3EB6-496B-8842-74F16E2FB001.jpeg

The Aussie have something like this. Have been trying to find a left hand drive version for a while but no dice. Maybe someone on here has seen one and it could help with your lack of extra spaces.

View attachment 2744688
There is no left or right hand version. I have that same exact blank with my towpro elite. Exact same spot on my us spec 200. You can get the blank for a number of places. Even, etrailer has them. If you can’t dig up the part number I can on Monday.

There is no left or right hand version. I have that same exact blank with my towpro elite. Exact same spot on my us spec 200. You can get the blank for a number of places. Even, etrailer has them. If you can’t dig up the part number I can on Monday.
I'm talking the extra button spaces, not the blank.

I’ve talked to the makers of the blank.
They said they have a 3D cad model for the LHD model but they decided not to make them due to likely low demand.
I’ve thought of maybe modifying the RHD…
I asked them if they’d make a limited run and if could buy them and distribute them to try to make my money back.

The Tow Pro Liberty will do the job for me. Is there a plug and play harness for installing on a 2021, or if you want the plug-n-play installation, you have to buy the Tow Pro Elite?

The Tow Pro Liberty will do the job for me. Is there a plug and play harness for installing on a 2021, or if you want the plug-n-play installation, you have to buy the Tow Pro Elite?
The Redarc website doesn't seem to have a full set of Toyota model cross-references, but this thread indicates the TPH-021 is a likely candidate:

To close the loop, was sent this message from RedArc:

The harness is PnP for either controller. The Elite will come with a universal harness, and universal switch plate.

If you want the liberty, you can just order your vehicle specific harness and switch plate separately.

Harness: TPH-021
Switch Plate: TPSI-002

Ha. Yeah, I turned an hour long job into a two day job looking for that thing. For anybody that comes along to this thread, here is where I found mine (right behind the coin drawer):

View attachment 2631261
Thanks for this photo and instructions! I had a hell of a time finding the brake controller plug.

If you can run a soldering iron, the factory to redarc supplied harness splice is almost the easiest job there is. I've done it for two 200s and a Tundra, and each time I briefly considered buying a harness from redarc but then did the work myself and was glad I didn't spend the money.

If you can run a soldering iron, the factory to redarc supplied harness splice is almost the easiest job there is. I've done it for two 200s and a Tundra, and each time I briefly considered buying a harness from redarc but then did the work myself and was glad I didn't spend the money.
Nice work Charlie! Just as a heads up, unlike the Elite, the Liberty doesn’t come with a universal harness in the package so you’ll have to order the universal or PnP harness separate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom