Red vs Pink Coolant - 1999 LC 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys - I know this is likely answered somewhere in the 100 series threads, but I can't find the reference. I just wrapped up the water pump and timing belt job on a new to me '99 LC and I an curious if there are any issues with converting over to the Pink Toyota coolant as part of the process? I am also installing a new radiator, hoses, thermostat, etc so the system is about as drained as it possibly can be. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Guys - I know this is likely answered somewhere in the 100 series threads, but I can't find the reference. I just wrapped up the water pump and timing belt job on a new to me '99 LC and I an curious if there are any issues with converting over to the Pink Toyota coolant as part of the process? I am also installing a new radiator, hoses, thermostat, etc so the system is about as drained as it possibly can be. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Depends on how picky you are. There is some tech talk here around a certain additive that the red has that the pink doesn't have that was better off for the older style radiators. Clearly I can't remember the details...

The short answer is, you're fine and many people have done it including the Toyota dealer to my vehicle.

The land cruiser owner answer is, drain it out and get a 50/50 blend of the red in there.

Long as it's not green =]

I like the beck arnley asian stuff from rockauto. It comes in concentrate, mix it with distilled 50/50. Half the cost and silicate free. It's red.

According to Toyota sales literature, you can use Pink in red system.
  • Benefit of pink, longer flush interval.
  • Benefit of red. Can flush system with distilled water.
But IMHO it's a waste to convert a red system (98-03) to a pink! Here are just few thoughts on why:
  • I find red system, including plastic Tees. In better condition. I suspect, it has to do with shorter flush intervals. It could also be difference in coolant, IDK!
  • If having any Toyota/Lexus shop service. They should only top/flush with year correct red or pink. Then your back to 2 yr interval, due to water added w/red.

Thanks
I think the conclusion I got from previous discussion is: you can use pink coolant in the truck original designed for red. However you still need follow red coolant maintain schedule (5y replacement interval) rather than pink one (10y interval)

I think the conclusion I got from previous discussion is: you can use pink coolant in the truck original designed for red. However you still need follow red coolant maintain schedule (5y replacement interval) rather than pink one (10y interval)

And conversely you can use red in a vehicle that specifies pink, if you follow the shorter interval. I see no reason to ever use pink given it's historical tendency to result in premature water pump leaks.

And conversely you can use red in a vehicle that specifies pink, if you follow the shorter interval. I see no reason to ever use pink given it's historical tendency to result in premature water pump leaks.
yes for pink one you need much expensive special sealant when you replace water pump. I used cheaper sealant and just used red coolant. keep shorter maintains interval we should be good. changing coolant on this truck is not hard.

Earlier of: RED LL, 2yr or 30K miles. Pink SSL. factory fill 10yr or 100K miles, thereafter 5ry or 50K miles.
I've not seen that with water pumps. The leaks I do see have been minor and at weep hole. Of those, no telling what coolant used. But I do see: Tee failure much earlier in pink systems. Some say, it's difference in plastic in later years! I feel it's the coolant remaining to long.
yes for pink one you need much expensive special sealant when you replace water pump. I used cheaper sealant and just used red coolant. keep shorter maintains interval we should be good. changing coolant on this truck is not hard.
I was once told the same about FIPG, by parts department (word from shop foreman).

But in reviewing all years 98- of the FSM. Toyota clearly states 1282B or equivalent FIPG (the pricey stuff). I use 1282b FIPG in all coolant application 98- , where FIPG called for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom