Red neck engineering required to pull out a 300' well pump (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have pulled quite a few pumps and have found that the threads on the pvc pipe can tend to strip when disconnecting and reconnecting the pipe at the joints. I always leave it hooked together. If there isnt one already dont forget to tie a safety line to the pump when you put it back in the well.

I have pulled quite a few pumps and have found that the threads on the pvc pipe can tend to strip when disconnecting and reconnecting the pipe at the joints. I always leave it hooked together. If there isnt one already dont forget to tie a safety line to the pump when you put it back in the well.

Thanks for the info, very helpful. Got some ?s for you:
- these are PVC pipes, Sch 80, 1.25", 20' long. If I want a 10' stick, do plumbing stores sell this length or do I have to cut one in half and thread it?
- can I use my Rigid pipe threading tools to thread a Sch 80 PVC pipe? I'm assuming not but not sure. I don't know if I have a die that large anyway.
- I need to make up two tools: 1) a way to screw on to a pipe then pull it up. 2) a clamp/plate to hold the next pipe on top of the casing while I unscrew the previous pipe. Have you seen or made DIY tools? It's easier to copy a good design if possible is my motto!

You cant thread pvc with your tools. Yeah, I am pretty sure you can get a ten foot length. I use a threaded coupler with a lifting eye welded to one end to start pulling. I have a plate with a slot cut the same size as the od of the pipe that will not let a coupler go through that will sit on top of the casing.

When are you planning on pulling your pump? I'm pretty sure I live close by.

You cant thread pvc with your tools. Yeah, I am pretty sure you can get a ten foot length. I use a threaded coupler with a lifting eye welded to one end to start pulling. I have a plate with a slot cut the same size as the od of the pipe that will not let a coupler go through that will sit on top of the casing.

When are you planning on pulling your pump? I'm pretty sure I live close by.

Yeah, that's what I was going to do as well, weld up something on a black pipe threaded coupler for lifting purposes. I need to purchase 10' rigid pipes that are 4" diam from this dude in CL in Moriarty first and then make up the tripod, setup a 12vdc ATV winch on it before I start this project. I don't think it'll happen this weekend but hopefully next weekend if the weather isn't crappy.

Can you post up pics of your tools as I'm curious what they look like. I haven't been able to find DIY tools yet on the 'net.

I bet I've ridden my road bike by your place few times! I'm headed that way now actually, not sure where I'll turn around. I'll keep in touch with you and thanks.

I'll try to get pictures sometime today. I will also send you a message with my phone number. You are welcome to use my tools and if you need anything fabbed/rigged up let me know.

If on a road bike you probably havent gone as far as my place. I'm on the gravel road (Ballanger Ranch) east of Highway 217

I'll try to get pictures sometime today. I will also send you a message with my phone number. You are welcome to use my tools and if you need anything fabbed/rigged up let me know.

If on a road bike you probably havent gone as far as my place. I'm on the gravel road (Ballanger Ranch) east of Highway 217

Coolio and thx. I've ridden by 217 on 333 on few occasions but that's about it.

why not just rig up a gantry frame from 45 bucks in lumber (if you dont have enough scrap pipe or steel to use) Couple of 4x4s and pair of 2x8s lamed together, would be overkill. Then use a chain fall (60 bucks or less from hazard fraught), or block and tackle if you wanted to go old school to do the lifting, hell even a come along would work.

Gantry frame will pull straight, cheap to build, and will support the weight you need it too. and can be done as a one man show, and you will have to tools to do it anytime you need to.... Like KLF said, a larger pipe wrench makes a great holding wedge while you pull stuff apart or to reposition your pulling choker.

Last edited:
Look up "cathead winch". Very effective, fast, easy to use. Every service and drilling rig has one. Seems like you could rig one up by bolting a capstan spool to a vehicle up on jack stands.

I've seen lots of well tubing pulled with a catline and a pair of pipe wrenches.

Hmm, a gin pole. Now there's an idea that's worth looking into as it has just the right amount of red neck engineering.

You can rig a gin pole with little more than a ladder and some rope. For your application a single fly 12-16 ft would work or you can run a double fly with both sections collapsed. You would need at least 3 pickets or 1 picket and two anchors (could be vehicles). If you had the ladder laying around then this would be a cheap option to give you the high point required for lifting the pump.

Alia,

Do you have a Pump Saver/Pumptec hooked up to your well? Are you pumping straight from the well to your house or do you have a tank setup? You might want to go with a tank setup with a float switch hooked up to the Pump Saver. That way you have a nice buffer of water that gets refilled by the pump when the level drops below a certain level. I had to do something similar when the drought was bad here in Austin and my well couldn't keep up.

https://www.amazon.com/FRANKLIN-ELE...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=M68XFDJSGP73QEYWE8BX

Alia,

Do you have a Pump Saver/Pumptec hooked up to your well? Are you pumping straight from the well to your house or do you have a tank setup? You might want to go with a tank setup with a float switch hooked up to the Pump Saver. That way you have a nice buffer of water that gets refilled by the pump when the level drops below a certain level. I had to do something similar when the drought was bad here in Austin and my well couldn't keep up.

https://www.amazon.com/FRANKLIN-ELE...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=M68XFDJSGP73QEYWE8BX

I have a complex system due to the various elevations. There is a 80g pressure tank at the well pump house that the well pump moves water into (see pic 1st post) Pump is at 300' below surface. This water then makes its way uphill to the house, about 250' elevation gain into a booster pump. This booster pump then pressurizes a second 80g pressure tank which services the house. Everything works out well but if the water quality is poor, then my well pump takes a hit, like it is doing now.

The answer to your question, is yes, there's a Pumptec controller that protects my pump. It is this controller that's been kicking out on overload and caused me to start the investigation process.

My long range plan is to have external storage water tank that's refilled by either rain water or purchased water. That is what I'm doing currently at a much smaller scale. I had to purchase 250g of water yesterday and hauled it to my house and filled up the temp/borrowed 500g storage tank. This temp tank is now feeding my booster pump at the house and it's been working nicely. Someday, I'll place two 1500g storage tanks uphill from the house and use a permanent pipe under the road and into my house

We lost our pump last year. It was 23 years old and had served us well (!) Anyway, I thought of pulling it until I found the original paperwork and learned that the well was 600 feet deep and I had know clue how far down the pump was. I contacted the original company that installed the pump and they came out and replaced it. They pulled 30 / 20 ft pipes and the pimp put. I can't imagine how heavy that system would have been. Good luck with whatever you decide!
IMG_1629.JPG
IMG_1630.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom