Recommendations for an entry-level 3D printer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok, I admit the question is not related Cruisers or Mud, but envisioned solution for my little problem is certainly in the spirit of Mud.

Here goes: I want a gadget to measure string heights on my electric guitars. Company that makes such a thing wants me to open up an account, password, phone number, birth date, etc. - nope. I don't need yet another account, period.

I have a digital caliper though, with the ususal depth gauge at the end. I realized all I need is a little saddle that goes over the string, sits on the fretboard flanking a fret, has a slot at the top to seat the digital caliper, and an opening to let the depth gauge pass through to contact the string from above. Make contact, zero the caliper, push down until the string hits the fret - voila!

Why pay $50 when I can spend perhaps $500 for a new tool to make the gadget myself - see what I mean re Mud spirit?

Advice is greatly appreciated - thanks, michael

I can't help you on the question, but fully approve of "Why pay $50 when I can spend perhaps $500 for a new tool to make the gadget myself?" and have followed that logic myself quite a few times!

Why pay $50 when I can spend perhaps $500 for a new tool to make the gadget myself - see what I mean re Mud s
Sounds like a common theme. I spent $600 on 3D printers because I didn't want to spend $30 on something I could make for a few dollars in filament. It also gives my son something to do and learn some skills.

My son picked the Creality CR-10S Pro V2 because he thought he needed a big table and a heated bed for printing ABS. While we were waiting for the 10S to arrive I spotted a Creality Ender 3 on Craigslist for basically the price of the filament that came with it, so I bought it.

The Ender 3 has been a great little machine that has printed everything my son has thrown at it, including my two $30 parts. We haven't gotten a lot of use out of the 10S because the Ender has met our needs so far.

1621986122115.png

Last edited:
Sounds like a common theme. I spent $600 on 3D printers because I didn't want to spend $30 on something I could make for a few dollars in filament. It also gives my son something to do and learn some skills.

My son picked the Creality 10S Pro V2 because he thought he needed a big table and a heated bed for printing ABS. While we were waiting for the 10S to arrive I spotted a Creality Ender 3 on Craigslist for basically the price of the filament that came with it, so I bought it.

The Ender 3 has been a great little machine that has printed everything my son has thrown at it, including my two $30 parts. We haven't gotten a lot of use out of the 10S because the Ender has met our needs so far.

View attachment 2684608
Great, just what I needed to hear, thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom