Recommendations: DIY Storage Bins / Sleeping Platform. Show me your custom trunks! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good evening,

I am in the process of drawing up and fitting a sleeping platform for my 2011 LX 570. I am only 5’9” so I will be utilizing a sleeping platform until I can fund a RTT. I have taken my measurements for the platform and have that all sorted. My next step, however, is to determine the height of the platform. This is where I am seeking recommendations. Specifically, I am wanting to add some sort of storage bins to slide under the platform. I hit google for a quick search and found a few options from Roam, but damn near spat my beer out for what they’re asking (at this point I may just keep drinking until I don’t care about price). Also saw Dee Zee and decked brands - are these any good? What are you using to keep your gear sorted? Newbie here and looking to soak up as much information as I can. I appreciate your info and double appreciate any pictures!

Most people set the height based on what would line up with and lay over the middle row seats when the backs are folded forward, especially when planning a sleeping platform.

Most people set the height based on what would line up with and lay over the middle row seats when the backs are folded forward, especially when planning a sleeping platform.
Interesting. I hadn’t thought about this. I just folded up the seats (double fold). I suppose I could single fold them and lay the 2nd half of the platform over the top and gain another 8-12” of headspace. I’ll go back to the drawing board. If I can gain another 8-12” of head space with a single fold middle seats then this would without a doubt be the telltale height. Thank you for the input

Interesting. I hadn’t thought about this. I just folded up the seats (double fold). I suppose I could single fold them and lay the 2nd half of the platform over the top and gain another 8-12” of headspace. I’ll go back to the drawing board. If I can gain another 8-12” of head space with a single fold middle seats then this would without a doubt be the telltale height. Thank you for the input
Might look at Land Shark Outfitters KISS system and Air Down Gear Ups platform system. Not sure how far along you are in your project, but could be a time saver or a place to spark some DIY juices.

This is what I built for my LX470. It was a pretty easy build.
CC238C2A-C242-494A-9C0F-DC58AAE9FC6E.jpeg
8F51C5CD-E4D1-493F-A45C-F68AAFA0E408.jpeg

Might look at Land Shark Outfitters KISS system and Air Down Gear Ups platform system. Not sure how far along you are in your project, but could be a time saver or a place to spark some DIY juices.
I'd second that. You won't save much $ doing a DIY setup over the Land Shark design, for sure. The only reason to DIY is if you feel you need something special in your setup that you can't adapt. I like the Land Shark but if you just want to use plastic bins I know ADGU does a platform for the 100 which has a separate part that folds or slides out to give you a fully flat sleeping area (rather than partially relying on the seat back

I made a platform like what your describing a couple years ago that work with some generic under-bed storage bins with wheels on the bottom. For determining the height, I'd buy the bins you want and build around that, or set the height of the sleeping platform level with the tailgate for easy of loading items.

Made a Cargo Platform - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/made-a-cargo-platform.1153361/#post-12518383
That’s what I can hope my project looks like. Well done!

I'm planning on living out of my LC for days-weeks at a time, hoping to get some inspiration from this thread. That cargo platform one looks promising.

If you want to build your own basic sleeping platform and just use plastic bins for the storage, I suggest ordering some 8020 extruded aluminum rails to build a frame, some 1/2" baltic birch plywood for the top, and then secure everything with T-nuts, L brackets, corner braces, and recessed screws. Anchor the platform to the cargo tie-downs. Throw some carpet on the top and I'm fairly sure you could build the whole thing for a under $200.

I considered this route but I didn't want plastic bins sliding around underneath. Plus I needed a half drawer so I could keep one of the rear seats.

The cheap, minimal work route taken here. Sterilite latching totes from Walmart supporting two pieces of plywood wrapped in Home Depot indoor/outdoor carpet. Used the folded second row for support up front. Worked great and was easy to remove after the trip. Also allowed for full use of the second row when driving. Mattress was an Exped Megamat Duo.

92800073-151E-45C1-B8CD-985C39192DB0.jpeg

F0CD675D-EC3C-41D6-9E78-B1CB797C5386.jpeg

How easy is the removal and install each time? I like this a lot at first glance. What brand? Thanks
It's super easy, I can do it myself but it does help to have a second set of hands to help lower the box down out of the bed of the truck. It's strapped down to the tiedown points in the bed there, just undo those, slide it out and down, and then put it on a dolly and roll it to wherever you want to store it. Simple. It's a Ququq Kombi v2 box. I'm in Germany which is where they are manufactured so I got mine pretty easy, but I do believe there is one distributor stateside in Jersey.

Awesome set up! Where did you get it?
I got it from a company called Ququq, it's Ququq Kombi v2 box. The boxes are handmade in Germany and being stationed here at the moment, I went to the Allrad Expo here in Germany and got a good discount on one. They do have one distributor in the US though, I think they are in Jersey.

I got it from a company called Ququq, it's Ququq Kombi v2 box. The boxes are handmade in Germany and being stationed here at the moment, I went to the Allrad Expo here in Germany and got a good discount on one. They do have one distributor in the US though, I think they are in Jersey.
Thanks. That's a really cool set up!

Mdstx,

What size bins? Do they extend to the back seats?
I believe these are the current version.
Robot or human? - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Plastic-19-Gallon-Stacker-Tote-Yellow-Lily/709791347?athcpid=709791347&athpgid=AthenaItempage&athcgid=null&athznid=utic&athieid=v0&athstid=CS020&athguid=EKAqNY9Oyf8IAoNKxFhanFOPXf6o9PCfeUar&athancid=null&athena=true

The totes are visible under the mattress in the picture above and that should give you a pretty good idea of their sizes. The concept is for them to be roughly the same height as the midpoint of the top of the folded down center row seats. I used four of the Sterilite totes in the area between the seat and the rear hatch. I used two pieces of 3/4" plywood wrapped in low pile carpet from Home Depot as the base for the mattress. One of the pieces of plywood was supported by the folded-down second row seats and the totes and the other was supported by the totes. When the second row seats were in use, the plywood fit behind the seats in the cargo area. Obviously, I had removed the third-row seats. You also need something to level the floor in the cargo area as it dips by the rear of the second row seats. I used foam squares cut to fit the area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom