recognize this fluid leak from bolt connecting intake/exhaust manifolds? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, '74 FJ40 with original F155. I just noticed a fluid leak from or near one of the bolts connecting the intake and exhaust manifolds together. The obvious thought is gasoline, which it smells like gasoline, but it doesn't evaporate like gasoline should (no, i haven't put a match to it). Additionally, when I start the engine, the spot doesn't seem to grow. It dries out as it warms, but still leaves an oily residue around the spot.

I'm happy to provide any additional info.

Does anyone recognize this leak? Do I just need to take the carb off to try to spot a crack in the intake manifold? or..?

Thanks for the help!

that would make sense, but I didn't think the holes for the bolts that attach the two manifolds together were drilled all the way through. so for the fuel to leak that way, it would have to be cracked i presume?

I removed the carburetor and found the crack circled below in the intake manifold. So I've got two issues, a cracked intake manifold, and the reason I found the crack in the first place, my weber 38 carb is leaking fuel when the engine is off.

When the engine was off, fuel was leaking from the carb and through the crack in the manifold, and down the bolt that connects the intake and exhaust manifold. Which is why I was seeing fuel as in the photos above.

Regarding the weber, the typical cause of this that i found is a float set too high, but i checked it and it use set to specification. Any other ideas as to why it is leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom