Rebuild options for my 2f (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm pretty new to the site but have spent the last couple of months reading everything I can find about engine rebuild/ engine swaps for my sixty. I can already feel the addiction. I had a mint sixty two for a while but going to school and driving close to a hundred miles a day and getting married made the 550$ a month in gas a little much, but after selling and getting a civic for running around soon got sick of not being able to go offroad and 4wheeling. Needless to say 5 months after getting married I found a 60 absolutley no rust and fairly low miles for an awesome deal and I couldn't resist. It needed a smog pump so I towed it home put it on and It ran just needed some vaccuum hoses fixed and a tune up and i was set. then I found this site and from there I just saw to much cool stuff. I have done the suspension to where I like it for now 2in bl shackles aal while taking out the smaller leaf gives me a surpisingly smoother ride and about 4 1/2 of lift put on some 33"s, some wheel spacers. and redone about every hose I could find put a new smog pump on new powersteering new starter gave it tune up, dual batteries, a tune up and now its running pretty good. having the interior redone next week. At the moment it has 150k and it sounds like this isn't really to many miles for this engine. Anyway I seem to be getting about 13-14 mpg not real sure because the odometer cable broke before I got a chance to check it but by the gps in it on longer trips seems about 13-14 range. I live in az and would really like to take some extended trips into mexico this summer and want to make sure my 2f is going to be ready for it. After searching it seems like the diesel is the best for fuel economy but that would never really outweigh the extra cost it seems like from what I have read, the v8 seems nice and I was starting to lean towwards this but then I saw some articles about getting more hp out of the 2f. I really like my landcruiser because it is a landcruiser. So My questions are,

1. If I want to get more hp out of the 2f while keeping fuel economy in mind what do I need to do and what do I need to search to find the links to the right threads?

2. I saw some threads about getting 20-22 mpg with a 2f, is this possible/ has it been done? If so what is the hp/torque like on something like this? can an engine like this pass smog /emissions?

3. I saw a couple turbo charged 2fs. how much does this help? Combined with a good rebuild?

4. I also saw a few about different fuel injection systems... which areas does this help in mpgs or hp or both?
5. In the end I would like to be able to pull 2500-3500 lbs if needed. cruise down the highway in the left lane and make it up the hills without dropping to 50mph. and get a little better mileage what is the best setup for this?

This is a pretty long post but I really want to get started on this while I have three cars and a place to work on my cruiser and just need to know some options. I can't belive all of the information on here , thanks for all the detailed threads it's defiantly saved me alot of headache.

Kurtis

Welcome to mud. It sounds like you are out to a good start.

Have you done a compression test on the engine? You want to trade some reliability for more horsepower? I have not heard of anybody in a 60 getting 20 mpg consistently. The engine can pass smog if all the smog equipment is working and the carb is in good shape. It sure can be a pain though. Based on what you are saying on number 5 if your engine is toast I would start looking at a V8.

Howdy! WElcome aboard. Sounds like a nice rig. If your in the Phoenix area, come to the Copper State Cruiser meeting Friday night in Tempe, and you can find out everything you ever wanted to know about a 60 series. John

inkpot,

Do you live close to the chandler mall? I swear I have seen that 55 before in your picture.

Nocal60 I think if theres no way to get some decent improvments out of the 2f v8 would be my next option. I can get a pretty mean v8 350 350hp for fairly reasonable to compeltly rebuilt so if I can can't get anyway to get some more out of the 2f then i'll put in an order soon. I was just hoping to keep her all toyota
but I don't know if I could take the 50 mph hills and the 75 top speed much longer. It actually runs pretty good as is but as I don't really know the history was thinking it would be a good start to rebuild start fresh and know everything is new. Is a compresssion test a pretty good indication of what kind of shape everyting is in? The carb seems fine but would defiantly have one of those guys on here rebuild before anytrip also. I just don't want to get 1000 miles down south and have her go kaput. I know the 2f is very reliable so its tempting to keep and rebuild if I could just get some more out of it.

From what I am reading I dont think you are going to get what you want out of the 2f. There is too much weight involved to town that kind of weight on top of your trucks on weight. I have desmoged my truck and added headers and I can cruise as fast as I want. That being said I dont feel comfortable wandering around the road at 80 mph but it can if I want. It will run 75 at about 2300 rpms. I can also take most hills without droping to much speed. All of this is without towning a trailer. IMHO you are really pushing to want and tow a lot with the sixty. Even worse if you have modified out the truck. By the time I add the weight of the 33 tires, front and rear bumper, sliders, winch, and other mods I have already increased the load on the truck.

IF you get the truck running good and carry spare parts I think your 2f is as reliable as a 350 for a trip into mexico. It is just never going to be a 70 mph up hill pulling a trialer kind of rig.

I would be ok not being able to fly up the hills with a trailer, a slowdown would be understandable.Its when i'm unloaded by myself running up to the mountains going fifty is what really gets me. my friend has a decent sized pop up we take when we go camping to the dunes or to the beach. his truck will pull it fine and is 4x4 but it really isn't to much fun off road. Its his dd with street tires. on longer trips it gets pretty expensive to pull with his and drive mine for just 4 people.
I wish i could do the desmog but i Live in the phoenix area and still ahve to pass emissions it sounds like that helps out quite a bit though. If I started getting some spare parts what are the kinds of things that go out on this?

Remember that you are talking about a 4500-5000 pound vehicle with the shape of a refrigerator and a 150 hp engine (generous estimation). I agree with REKCUT.

If you:
Go with EFI
Better Cam <- Cam info
fresh bored short block
bigger valves
better valve springs
ported exhaust and intake
better exhaust

you may see a reliable 170 HP or so and your fuel mileage will be in the low to mid teens.

If you go with a 350 hp V8, well, you'll have a fairly hopped up 350 and your fuel mileage will be in the teens. If you want 20s, drive down hill more often.

There is a basic list of items that you would want and I am sure I will leave out some.

Belts and hoses
dist
coil/ignitor
plug wires
fuel filter
spare plugs
pcv valve

These are basic easy to replace items that can go out on a trip. I am trying to stick to engine related items cause you are discussing a 2f vs a 350 and the other items I take are not related to engine like

u-joints
motor mount
brake fluid
birfield

Many items are for event extreme off-roading. If I was just on dirt roads I wouldnt worry as much. I also take extra fluid like

oil, antifreeze, ps fluid, brake fluid, water, fluid for the tranny and transfer case.

If you are going to be far away from any kind of store or help you might take some of the more expensive items like

water pump
smog pump
alt
battery

I have solved some of that with dual batteries and dual alt so if something goes out I have a backup solution.

This will allow you to fix most problems that might happen. Very rarely does a major part of the engine just blow on you. If you are listening you can hear or know if something major is going to go. You can hear bearings starting to grind. Normally a engine slowly starts to lose compression and let go over time. At 150k and no smoke you should be good for a long time if you keep mantaining it.

Make sure your truck is running properly. Consider letting jim rebuild your carb and advancing your dizzy. Make sure you have a free flowing exhaust and possibly a header. You truck should then be able to run up hills in normal driving. I am talking about normal hills not the one outside of denver. I be at 55 and excellerate up the hill. The other things will give you more power but in small amounts. Like was stated, lots of enging work for 15 to 20 horse. Fix and peak the factory stuff and you might gain more because of what you have lost.

I'm pretty new to the site but have spent the last couple of months reading everything I can find about engine rebuild/ engine swaps for my sixty. I can already feel the addiction. I had a mint sixty two for a while but going to school and driving close to a hundred miles a day and getting married made the 550$ a month in gas a little much, but after selling and getting a civic for running around soon got sick of not being able to go offroad and 4wheeling. Needless to say 5 months after getting married I found a 60 absolutley no rust and fairly low miles for an awesome deal and I couldn't resist. It needed a smog pump so I towed it home put it on and It ran just needed some vaccuum hoses fixed and a tune up and i was set. then I found this site and from there I just saw to much cool stuff. I have done the suspension to where I like it for now 2in bl shackles aal while taking out the smaller leaf gives me a surpisingly smoother ride and about 4 1/2 of lift put on some 33"s, some wheel spacers. and redone about every hose I could find put a new smog pump on new powersteering new starter gave it tune up, dual batteries, a tune up and now its running pretty good. having the interior redone next week. At the moment it has 150k and it sounds like this isn't really to many miles for this engine. Anyway I seem to be getting about 13-14 mpg not real sure because the odometer cable broke before I got a chance to check it but by the gps in it on longer trips seems about 13-14 range. I live in az and would really like to take some extended trips into mexico this summer and want to make sure my 2f is going to be ready for it. After searching it seems like the diesel is the best for fuel economy but that would never really outweigh the extra cost it seems like from what I have read, the v8 seems nice and I was starting to lean towwards this but then I saw some articles about getting more hp out of the 2f. I really like my landcruiser because it is a landcruiser. So My questions are,

1. If I want to get more hp out of the 2f while keeping fuel economy in mind what do I need to do and what do I need to search to find the links to the right threads?

2. I saw some threads about getting 20-22 mpg with a 2f, is this possible/ has it been done? If so what is the hp/torque like on something like this? can an engine like this pass smog /emissions?

3. I saw a couple turbo charged 2fs. how much does this help? Combined with a good rebuild?

4. I also saw a few about different fuel injection systems... which areas does this help in mpgs or hp or both?
5. In the end I would like to be able to pull 2500-3500 lbs if needed. cruise down the highway in the left lane and make it up the hills without dropping to 50mph. and get a little better mileage what is the best setup for this?

This is a pretty long post but I really want to get started on this while I have three cars and a place to work on my cruiser and just need to know some options. I can't belive all of the information on here , thanks for all the detailed threads it's defiantly saved me alot of headache.

Kurtis

What year 60?

If I needed to replace the motor I had and didn't really have a need for more performance I'd just rebuild what you have.

If I wanted just a little bit more performance I'd just have a performance cam dropped in it, run some headers and have Jim C look at the carb.

If I really wanted some umph I'd go with a v-8.

Personally from what I have read I'd go with a V-8. I know that's not what some would say. But the 60 isn't light. More mods means more weight.

Only someone who has deep pockets and is brand loyal build a hi performance 2f. A person has to be crazy to do that.

Remember that you are talking about a 4500-5000 pound vehicle with the shape of a refrigerator and a 150 hp engine (generous estimation). I agree with REKCUT.

If you:
Go with EFI
Better Cam <- Cam info
fresh bored short block
bigger valves
better valve springs
ported exhaust and intake
better exhaust

you may see a reliable 170 HP or so and your fuel mileage will be in the low to mid teens.

If you go with a 350 hp V8, well, you'll have a fairly hopped up 350 and your fuel mileage will be in the teens. If you want 20s, drive down hill more often.

love it a refrigerator on wheels. thats the best description yet. don't forget its a FAST TRACTOR!!!!!!!!!! even well tuned

love it a refrigerator on wheels. thats the best description yet. don't forget its a FAST TRACTOR!!!!!!!!!! even well tuned

A brick flying through the air! :D I do love my brick though!!!!! :D

we are in the middle of a tbi injection outfit on an 84 fj60.

i have seen the tbi injection on a 78 fj40 drove it and it makes a world of difference as far as power and fuel mileage.

i believe with the air condition running (i know musta been a helluva a forty) around town my friend was averaging 16mph with a four inch lift and 33 in mud terrains and a four speed.

so the aerodynamics and tires will always take a toll on mpg.

that being said between the two of us (my friend and i ) have made every possible combo of carb, dizzy, etc.....non usa blah blah blah...

my truck is an 85 fj60 and it is next in line for a tbi system!

i am currently runnung a 38mm weber and stock 2f dizzy man a fre headers. i will be going back to a stock exhaust manifold when i do the swap.

this current combo suits me well, but the difference in power and overall attitude including mpg advantage of the tbi swap is very impressive.

i can run 75 at 2600 rpms i have 4.88 gears and 35's. plenty of power. if i never would have drove the tbi truck i would be really satisfied with my current set up.

I'd be interested to know how some of these tbi conversions come out I saw a couple threads but none seemed quite finished yet. Correct me if i'm wrong but it seems the v8 conversions in a 60 actually do better mpg wise than in the forty so would this be true with the tbi also? I ride alot of dirtbike and take trips with the pop up but i really love having the land cruiser with me in places like that to so I'd love to not have to just take the work truck or have my buddy drive when we go. the weight i'd have to pull would defiantly never exceed 3500 hundred probably no more than three and the trailers have electric brakes anyway. The engine now dosent burn oil no smoke no leaks nothing no funny sounds minus the a/c clutch witch i'm holding off on for now tell I make up my mind on the engine. If I just sent it off for a rebuild what am I looking at in parts? Whats a good cam, where do i get it?

I really would like to keep this a toyota but sounds like for my money A v8 might better suit my needs. If this is the case is it realistic for the conversion parts to be around 1500$ minus the engine/ tranny of course ? i'm sure this depends on fuel injected or carbed but just to get the block and tranny mounted and hooked up to the tcase, radiator.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom