Rear Wind Deflector (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok woah is this carbon fiber one happening or nah? cuase that would be sweet. Even just a plastic one would be great,.

Question: My 06LX does not have any spoiler or deflector. The rear window gets horribly dirty when it rains or snows. It's way worse than my 99, which has the black deflector.

Is the deflector/spoiler a significant benefit when it comes to rear window cleanliness? I kinda dig the silly OEM spoiler and if it would clean up my rear window, I might be motivated to buy and install one.

Ok woah is this carbon fiber one happening or nah? cuase that would be sweet. Even just a plastic one would be great,.

To clarify, I have a printer which prints a chopped carbon fiber material that could be used for the mounts, but not the deflector itself. It's microscopic strands of carbon fiber within a nylon material. It's near-aluminum strength. Max print length is about 12" and cost is directly related to size. Complex small parts are fine, but large and simple parts are obscenely expensive.

Question: My 06LX does not have any spoiler or deflector. The rear window gets horribly dirty when it rains or snows. It's way worse than my 99, which has the black deflector.

Is the deflector/spoiler a significant benefit when it comes to rear window cleanliness? I kinda dig the silly OEM spoiler and if it would clean up my rear window, I might be motivated to buy and install one.

To clarify, I have a printer which prints a chopped carbon fiber material that could be used for the mounts, but not the deflector itself. It's microscopic strands of carbon fiber within a nylon material. It's near-aluminum strength. Max print length is about 12" and cost is directly related to size. Complex small parts are fine, but large and simple parts are obscenely expensive.

Yeah I have a small CNC for woods, plastics, and soft metals I've been wanting for a long time to make a rear deflector using some kind of acrylic, nylon, or UHMW or something but haven't been able to get my hands on one in order to reproduce it. So if anyone has one and wants to take extensive pictures and measurements for me to try to and duplicate that would be sweet!

@suprarx7nut

in my opinion, having a 2000 LC with the small deflector and a 2006 LX with the large one, if they do a good job now keeping the rear window relatively clean I’ll certainly NOT miss them if I were to take them off.

Does your upper hatch have the mounting holes already drilled? I think the spoiler that came on the 06 & 07 LC/LX was larger and shaped differently (whale tail) and came with integrated upper stop light vs the 'blade" deflector on the LC/LX found on earlier model years. The mounts between the two types appear to be different. Thread on whale tail here: Where can i find an OEM 06-07 Rear whale tail (spoiler) ? this can still be purchased in matched color but the older blade type which I think was a port installed accessory is NLA.

I just installed this version over the weekend.

I debated the whale tail but this was easier to find and no painted was required. To me it was more a more traditional LC look vs the bigger one.

I spend the ~$16 on the template from Toyota (Part Number: PT73860013). It's literally a template to tape on the truck to locate the holes to drill. I am surprised it isnt scanned and posted in the FAQ.

I bought a rivnut tool off amazon (Amazon link) and practiced a few times on some scrap sheet metal I had in my garage. This was actually really easy one the holes were drilled. I bought some Touch Up Paint (070 Blizzard Pearl 00258-00070-21) to put on the bare edges.

I found the wing used here on MUD for what I thought was a reasonable price. Only issue was that there were some light scratches and it is ~15 year old plastic so it can be brittle. I decided to buy some matte black vinyl and try wrapping it and honestly it didn't turn out horrible. You wouldn't be able to tell unless I told you or you got up directly on it to look at some of the edges.

I taped up the template, drilled the holes, inserted the rivnuts and bolted it up. Its a balance of getting it tight but not hulking the screws and breaking the plastic... Only thing I wish I would have done was to put some silicone in the rivnut before I screwed the bases in but I am hesitant to keep taking it on and off as eventually I think Id break one of the mounts from being dumb (cross threading, tightening too tight, etc).

Finished product

LXwing.jpg

Last edited:
Does your upper hatch have the mounting holes already drilled? I think the spoiler that came on the 06 & 07 LC/LX was larger and shaped differently (whale tail) and came with integrated upper stop light vs the 'blade" deflector on the LC/LX found on earlier model years. The mounts between the two types appear to be different. Thread on whale tail here: Where can i find an OEM 06-07 Rear whale tail (spoiler) ? this can still be purchased in matched color but the older blade type which I think was a port installed accessory is NLA.

No holes drilled, yet. The 06LX I have has no deflector and no spoiler. Looks a little naked, I think.

Whoa, that part NEW from the online dealers is only $350 or so. Not nearly as bad as I expected. I think that's unpainted, but I can paint so no biggie.

I'm new to the forum and have a newly acquired 99 Land cruiser. I'm looking for the rear wind deflector. The brackets are still there but, I'm not sure what shape they're in. My husband is a master tech so I'm sure he can install it with no problem, finding one has been the issue. Any thoughts?

I'm new to the forum and have a newly acquired 99 Land cruiser. I'm looking for the rear wind deflector. The brackets are still there but, I'm not sure what shape they're in. My husband is a master tech so I'm sure he can install it with no problem, finding one has been the issue. Any thoughts?

I have one from a stripped 2000 LC. Also, I live next door on Saint Simons.

Y'all realize that the whale tale is worth another 1-2mph on the top speed of our vehicles, easily. And is also a chick magnet. Sheesh.

Y'all realize that the whale tale is worth another 1-2mph on the top speed of our vehicles, easily. And is also a chick magnet. Sheesh.
Thank you, yes it is certainly an advantage! And being a married woman, the chic magnet aspect doesn't do much for me ;) lol!

Hola, vivo en Argentina y tengo una HDJ 100 de 1999 desde hace cinco años. Ocasionalmente, encuentre un nuevo deflector de viento trasero original en caja de un stock antiguo. Estoy instalando actualmente pero no tengo el hardware de instalacion. Se necesita algún tipo de herramienta especial para instalar los tarugos en la parte superior del porton trasero, ya que no quiero cometer errores y que el aleron quedo flojo.
saludos desde Argentina

Need same thing. Thread’s a little stale. Anyone have leads on where to obtain? My smug self thought this was no big deal when seller broke it off in a car wash the night before delivery because I found the replacement for $20. Quite disappointed when I just drove 45 minutes to pick up what I find is a worthless piece of paper from the dealer parts department. Cool.

I have a black 02. Would prefer to keep it stock. Any one out there offer any help?

There's an Australian made option that I think is ugly, and freight is probably prohibitive.... but they're reasonably priced to purchase. I'll probably buy one next week as I'm tired of not being able to see through the rear screen on wet days (we're 95% gravel roads where I live)

There's an Australian made option that I think is ugly, and freight is probably prohibitive.... but they're reasonably priced to purchase. I'll probably buy one next week as I'm tired of not being able to see through the rear screen on wet days (we're 95% gravel roads where I live)

thank you not terrible but I get it the only other option I found is 750 bucks on cruiser parts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom