Rear View Mirror Adhesive (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1973Guppie

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.noahsarkstlc.com
For the life of me I can't figure out how to keep this damn thing on the windshield. I did the gentex mirror conversion on my cruiser. First used the crappy parts store stuff, did not work. Read on here about the jb weld stuff, tried that, well that worked for about 2 months and today I came out to find a hanging rear view mirror.

Any suggestions? wondering what the pros use? Going to call a few glass shops and may have them do this. I'm over it. The only thing I can think of is somehow scoring the glass with some rough sandpaper to give it some grit along with some rough sandpaper on the block.

Noah

The JB Weld one has worked well for those that I know that has used it. You're the first that had an issue with it that I know of.

The JB Weld one has worked well for those that I know that has used it. You're the first that had an issue with it that I know of.

yeah figures, maybe I will try it again......

I used the cheap advance auto stuff.... works great so far......knocking on wood now! I put the tab on with glue, then taped over it, and left it for 5 days before I put the mirror on.

I used the cheap advance auto stuff.... works great so far......knocking on wood now! I put the tab on with glue, then taped over it, and left it for 5 days before I put the mirror onto

One important thing i learned about getting good results gluing customers mirrors back on, It was all in the prep work. I found you've got to make sure the inside of the window is super clean. Plus keeping the truck out of the sun, so the windshield was cool, seemed to help too. YMMV

I had the same problem with my gentex mirror install. My problem was that I used to much glue. You only want one drop. As mentioned above proper prep, one drop. I haven't had an issue with it for over 6 months.

Good Luck

I had the same problem with my gentex mirror install. My problem was that I used to much glue. You only want one drop. As mentioned above proper prep, one drop. I haven't had an issue with it for over 6 months.

Good Luck

thx fot this, I was wondering about this, I think this is what I did as I had glue coming out the sides etc.

I used the permatex stuff in my Jetta and hit the mirror hard with a sunshade which ripped the ball-joint apart, but the puck stayed glued on.

Everyone knows to keep it out of the sun, but many people forget that the puck needs to be the same temperature as the glass or things will expand/contract after glueing and start to separate.

Now when I do the prep work inside the car, I tape the puck to the outside of the windshield near where it will get attached so the two pieces are as close in temp as possible. Then prep the puck and glue on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom