rear turn signal problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a pair of "trail quality" turn signals and I am having a terrible time getting my rear drivers side blinker to operate. I have functioning headlights hi/low, brake lights, reverse lights, right side blinker front and rear. When I pull the hazard switch everything works but the drivers rear. When I turn my left signal on, the indicator clicks then stays solid. Front turn comes on but stays solid but nothing out of the rear.

From all the searching I did I ran seperate grounds from both housings to a bare spot on the frame. I had to rewire the pin connecters to match oem but everything is right. I even ran a new clean rear harness but still happened. All bulbs have been replaced, fuses replaced

Voltage at the rear driver turn is .29-.31 compared the the normal voltage at the other lights.

Any suggestions on what to check next?

Thanks in advance

There is a bad connection (or bulb) somewhere on the driver side rear turn circuit. It is probably not a bad ground, since the other lights work and they all share a common ground, which is the metal lamp housing.

Pinhead- you know way more about wiring than I will ever... but I had all bulbs working just like he said... found out that my ground on the front fender was not good enough to make the blinkers work. everything including flashers worked. I ran a jumper and then they worked so then I just cleaned paint off better bolted it back up and it all worked fine since then...

also make sure your blinker fuse is good and that your connections are clean there.. that happend to me to

I was just going by his excllent, detailed description.

The key is that the rear bulb doesn't light up, but the front does. In this condition the front won't blink, but it does light. If the front didn't have a ground, it wouldn't light up. Since all the other rear lights light up, the rear housing is grounded. Therefore there is some problem on the driver side rear circuit before the ground, (eg. the bulb or wire).

If you had a bad front ground, this would have no effect on the rear lighting up and the front would not light up or it would only burn weakly. To me this sounds like a different problem than he has. Just trying to be helpful.

Jumper wire to the front didn't solve it. Didn't hurt to go in there and clean/re-tape everything though.

I even went in the signal wiring and re-wired it splicing with oem parts from another harness. Still nothing.

What I think I might try next when I have some more light is make sure that the rear turn signal pin that pushes up through the aftermarket light connector isn't being pushed back down and not connecting with the stock harness plug. I was having some difficulty with that when I was re-taping everything.

Lesson learned: You get what you pay for.

Thanks so much for the help so far.

Do something simple first:
Remove the bulb and check for voltage or power on the turn left rear signal.

I checked the voltage with the bulb removed. It was reading around 0.30V compared to around 13.0V on all the other lights. That is what has me confused. It isn't just reading 0.00 but sparking a little voltage.

That tells you there is a really bad connection upstream. Put the bulb back in, turn it on and keep following the voltage at each wire connection back to the turn signal switch until you find 12 V. The bad connection is between the last two measured points. Use the wire color code to find it outside the harness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom