Rear tail gate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well. I'm looking for some stock ones right now. Not to much luck. I just took of my hardtop for the first time, since I been Doing some few changes to my fj40. and I'm going to have the top off for a bit since its getting hot now. So I need a tail gate. I was just planing on building one. Try to look on how to but came out empty handed. and don't have money to spend 400 something for one. so ill like to see what people have built for there's....

Thanks
Eric
progress.gif

I'm not to keen on spending that much money on a tail gate right now either. I was thinking of getting a piece of aluminium checker plate and bolting it to the existing ambulance door hinges. You wouldn't be able to open it, but that really doesn't concern me to much.

I only ran any amount with the hardtop off with my '76 FJ40. I just took a piece 3/4" plywood, cut it to size, and bolted it on with the lower ambulance door hinges. Worked fine even though I never got around to painting it.

Same here, piece of scrap plywood bolted to the door hinges, a 2x4 across the top to stiffen it up, and another hook type bolt to hold it in the middle to the door catch. Then a quick coat of paint to make it look not so ugly. From a distance, it actually looks decent, if you squint a bit.

I do have a tailgate that I'm eventually planning on putting on once everything else is fixed, but it's more for looks than functionality. I haven't really had the need to fold it down, it's just so much easier to throw things over the top into the bed.

as a temporary soulution i made one from a piece of tread plate aluminum.. I reinfororced it recently with a piece of metal rivited to it, and bolted thru the hinge bolts.. It also attaches to the lower latch on the stock ambulance doors.

Ive got plans to build somthing that would drop down and could be used to sit on, or make lunch on, but ive got alot of more important projects going on!

mine looks like it was made from amby doors, welded together and a plate on the inside to dress it up, amby door hinges welded down below to use it as a tailgate. tire carrier holds it closed, no latches. nice place to sit when its down

i also bought the CCOT one and it fit pretty good and is fairly thick steel, but i got it for $75.00 a few years back. you might also look on SOR in the clearance section. they have them with scratches from time to time for around $35.00 or so. (photo was of cage but since you can see the tail gate i figured good enough)

Last edited:
Yeah, I think I paid $75, too.

I took two older rear half doors, cut off the outside overlap edge and welded them toegther. Ran a 3" piece of strap on the inside and moved the center latch to the right side of the tub.

My doors were junk, so I had to put steel in the bottom anyways. I will try to get pics later. Works well, looks good from 10 feet and cost about $15 in steel.

got mine used from spincter for 40$ blasted it and good as new!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom