Rear-seat Video Screen Removal Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just nuts they are installing and charging such prices for those things.
A 12.9 inch iPad pro is under $1k and would blow those screens back to the decade they came from... Mr. T has some splaining to do... o_O

I will weigh one tomorrow to get you an exact number, but from carrying it around, it felt in the ballpark of my previous-generation Lenovo laptop (about 7 pounds +/-). That said, I was *extra* careful because the replacement cost of these things is so darn high.
Cant wait to see your out come. Maybe once you done with your I can go see you in person :)

This whole screen thing is just nuts. I can't believe you buy an $80k truck and have to deal with them crappy things.

Boggles the mind.

:doh:

Are the screens in the MY 2016 + of higher resolution than the MY 2015 -. I wonder if I can upgrade mine to MY 2016 + screens. Are the connectors the same? The base size seems to be similar. I actually use the screens on my MY 2013 and would be interested in an upgrade.

Are the screens in the MY 2016 + of higher resolution than the MY 2015 -. I wonder if I can upgrade mine to MY 2016 + screens. Are the connectors the same? The base size seems to be similar. I actually use the screens on my MY 2013 and would be interested in an upgrade.

They are crazy expensive. Expensive to a point that you could buy 7 (SEVEN!) 12.9 inch iPad Pros for the cost of upgrading...

Last edited:

The screens in my '17 are listed at 480p, 576p, and VGA as compatible input formats using the HDMI inputs. Such low res that it's pretty much "insult to injury" for those 11.5" screens. If you want to upgrade, get the Toyota headrest tablet holders and a good tablet for each side. You'll still save $1000s off the cost of the OEM screens at their "discounted" price of $3800 each!

Last edited:
So I'm curious...do the middle cruisers get those stupid screens, or are they forced just on the US market?

I almost went with the Lexus LX570, just so I wouldn't have to deal with the screens. However, I hate their front end and did not want the extra complexity/problems associated with the air suspension...so getting an LC and deleting the screens was my choice.

I can confirm that if any of the folks working on covers for the holes left by rear facing screen removal are successful, the Toyota universal table holder fits a '17 LC and securely holds any size of iPad. The iPad and the mounting base can easily be removed from the headrest support when not needed for rear passengers and even when installed, the largerst iPad Pro is more out-of-the-way than the OEM video screens. Since my family already owns iPads, this will be the route I go; iPads are much more versatile than the OEM screens that I would describe as an April Fool's joke gone wrong.

It will be important that any invented hole covers are simply covers, and don't make the seat-back substantially thicker by being too bulky.

Genuine Toyota Universal Tablet Holder PT949-47160-02

Yep. My guy with the 3D design software and printer has gone dark, despite two phone calls and e-mails. Since I live in a small town, this was my only source. Will have to re-attempt next time I'm over in PDX or SEA.

That said, if any of you have already created a fix for this, I'd be a willing buyer...

Yep. My guy with the 3D design software and printer has gone dark, despite two phone calls and e-mails. Since I live in a small town, this was my only source. Will have to re-attempt next time I'm over in PDX or SEA.

That said, if any of you have already created a fix for this, I'd be a willing buyer...

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, it's a trend and all the leads from various people so far have lead nowhere. :( I guess there isn't enough of a market to make R&D worth it. I received 4 blank pieces of a great woodworking wood from another member that are the right size to start with and I'm going to begin my custom fitting in the next couple of days. I need to have the holes covered and looking good for an upcoming trip later this month. I don't have the equipment to go into production, but I'll get something that will at least fill the holes in the seats in my 200.

@cru1s3r Did you ever do the 3D scan? If so, what format is it in? I play around with CNC stuff when I have time and would be up for exploring fab options in either sheet metal, vacuum forming, milling, or 3D printing. I have no commercial interests in this but would simply like having these holes covered in my truck. I'm an electrical engineer with a machine shop background (though I work in software now) and am always looking for things to use my Techshop membership for (assuming I have time, which I don't very often, lol).

But... if you don't have the 3D scans then I'll stand by my comments in other threads that it's not really worth 3-4 weekends of prototyping.

Subscribed! Our first family road trip in the 200 showed this system isn't going to work for us. Would love to be able to remove the screens. I think that tablet holder that @Sandroad pointed out would be a great option.

@cru1s3r - If you are willing to share the 3D scans, I can call some folks here in Dallas to see what they could come up with. Would be happy to share anything they develop!

I'd be interested in picking up a set as well. The TV's are absolutely retarded. My 8 yr old daughter runs into with her back pack everytime i drop her off at school.

dscn0362-jpg.1399456

Anyone have wiring diagrams for this area? Curious to know what can be done with them once the screens are removed. Thinking something like a USB port for charging devices maybe...

Toyota finally came to it's senses. The 2018 model does NOT come standard with rear screens anymore. The seats are "normal". No screen. Screen embedded seats can still be ordered as an option for the 2018 model if desired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom