Rear-seat Video Screen Removal Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I'm in the process of removing the rear seat video screens in my new LC. The cover came off easy. A 10mm socket made quick work of the three nuts holding the screen onto the back of the seat. Two of the connections came off easily, but I'm having trouble with the green connector. Any advice for me on how to take it apart without damaging it?

My plan is to do a 3D scan of the base, make a few modifications (eliminate the top part and round out the base), and print black textured covers for the seatback in ABS. I also want to preserve both screens so that the vehicle can be put back into stock condition should I choose to sell someday. I'll let you know how this goes.

Last edited:
Nevermind. I used a long pair of needlenose pliers to squeeze both sides of the connector, and it came right off (I have fat fingers and could not reach in there on the back side). Next step - 3D scan, modify and print. Hopefully, I'll have a working prototype cover sometime this weekend!

Nevermind. I used a long pair of needlenose pliers to squeeze both sides of the connector, and it came right off (I have fat fingers and could not reach in there on the back side). Next step - 3D scan, modify and print. Hopefully, I'll have a working prototype cover sometime this weekend!
Would like to see a picture of the defect left after removal of the unit, if you get a chance.

I hope someone comes up with some type of cover for once the screens are removed. The screens are the biggest drawback of the vehicle for me.

There are a LOT of owners interested in a cover for the holes that remain. If you come up with a solution, you could sell them on here! A couple other folks have tried to solve the problem, but no one has made a prototype or production run yet. I found the needed covers were too long for a standard size 3D printer, but maybe you have a larger printer.

Please keep us posted and if successful with something that looks nice and is removable, name your price!

I will take pictures and, if I can cobble something together that looks like OEM quality (i.e. suitable for a new LC), I will share it here.

I will take pictures and, if I can cobble something together that looks like OEM quality (i.e. suitable for a new LC), I will share it here.
Thanks! There is a post somewhere here on Mud where someone had an insert fabricated that's leather covered and has USB ports. It looked well done.

dscn0362-jpg.1399456

Thanks! There is a post somewhere here on Mud where someone had an insert fabricated that's leather covered and has USB ports. It looked well done.

BTW, that was done last summer at the request of another member. I contacted the business that did the insert you're referring to last fall. The business responded positively to the idea of producing more someday, but nothing has happened to date.

You can commission a 3D printer designer to design/produce one. I was looking into that for the trim covers for the 3rd row seats. No idea of the cost though.

I'd love to have trim covers for the 3rd row seat holes too. Maybe with any luck, @cru1s3r will be the commissionee for both the screen and the seat holes :bounce2:

Well, everything is removed, scanned, measured and is now off for processing in Solidworks by a friend that has a full license (and the knowledge to translate my vision into reality). Since he has a "real" job, my model should be ready for a couple prototype prints in about a week. In the meantime, here's the requested pics of the parts and "the hole":

I would like to see a ceiling mounted fishing rod holder of some type as an option.:hmm:

I think that would be a great option up there on the next years model. It would still have to be controlled decent like the video screen with a retract button when not in use...4Runner would have to have a manual drop down.

I would like to see a ceiling mounted fishing rod holder of some type as an option.:hmm:

I think that would be a great option up there on the next years model. It would still have to be controlled decent like the video screen with a retract button when not in use...4Runner would have to have a manual drop down.

I believe a few members have mounted mesh netting on the roof, that would probably work. Clever idea for more space.

I'd love to have trim covers for the 3rd row seat holes too. Maybe with any luck, @cru1s3r will be the commissionee for both the screen and the seat holes :bounce2:
I'm sure there will be a growing amount of interest in both items.

OP, I would be curious how much those screens weigh. They are useless dead weight and are insanely thick for a LCD screen. Obviously, the more important benefit is not having a sh1tty low end TV jammed in the rear passenger's faces at all times.

I will weigh one tomorrow to get you an exact number, but from carrying it around, it felt in the ballpark of my previous-generation Lenovo laptop (about 7 pounds +/-). That said, I was *extra* careful because the replacement cost of these things is so darn high.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom