Rear pinging (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ocho77

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.op-art.guru
I’ve searched about pinions etc. This is happening only under load, and only sometimes. No rhyme or reason. Sometimes it is a pinging like this, and other times it happens quickly enough to sound like a rattle.

Something is binding up and releasing it sounds like. I would open the rear diff cover and look around. Maybe you’ve spun a thrust washer and it’s slightly out of spec allowing something to shift? I dunno. Hard to say without seeing inside. Could be from the t case too... I mistook t case noise for diff noise.

I'd escalate this issue to "Examine differential as soon as possible"

Actually, it almost sounds like something knocking against one of your shocks or something like that... I thought maybe your center pin has come loose in the diff but it would be a miracle if that were the case and you didn’t blow it up. Definitely open it up ASAP and make sure it’s okay in there. Then move on from there.

The reason I think it’s in the rear diff and not a shock or anything passive, is it only happens under load. As soon as I let off the throttle, it stops. Has never happened unless under load. It’s so strange. Sometimes it pings so quickly that it sounds like a rattle.

The reason I think it’s in the rear diff and not a shock or anything passive, is it only happens under load. As soon as I let off the throttle, it stops. Has never happened unless under load. It’s so strange. Sometimes it pings so quickly that it sounds like a rattle.
U joints are in good shape?

unless you can get a better video that doesn't sound like diff to me. And I've broken a few diffs. Sounds like something inside the driveshaft tube

My2c is driveshaft.. grease u joints really well and slip yolk really well. Check 14mm bolts as well at each end. Final check is block the wheels and put in neutral.. push up and down on driveshaft to check pinion nut and t case output bearing..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom