Rear Heaters? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mwalls54

Cruiser Nutjob
SILVER Star
Threads
What years didn't the FJ40s have heaters in the rear? just wondering because mine is a 74 and it dont have one ???

You're not missing out on much. I just removed mine. Even when working right they don't do much.
I have a '74 and I had a rear heater.
I'm not sure if they were an option or not, take a look at the hard lines to the front heater immediatly inside of the firewall and tell me what you see.
A working front heater will easily heat up a 40.

well it didn't have the place for the hoses to go and there isn't any bolt holes in the bed. I didn't know if some one done away with it.

Not sure about the years but I 86'd mine as well like puppy GA :D

alf

I don't agree. I have one in my '68. It works very well and has a 2 speed blower. Out here in Colorado, it can get mighty cold, and an FJ40 sure isn't insulated. The rear heater helps heat the cabin up, and keeps it warm without having to blast hot air on my feet. If you have one and it works, keep it (unless you live in the "tropics" like Bailey). If your's had one that has been removed, you live where it gets cold, and you can get one cheap, put it in. If your's never had one, it probably isn't worth adding one.

Agreed that the rear heater would be an esential item in the cold weather states but if you are in a mild climate area they just get in the way.

alf

early cruisers didn't even have heaters front or rear :D

I know 79 and prolly a few years before had optional rear heaters, 80+ stock under console.

OK, 74 had the rear heater as an option. 70 was stock.

John H

I would think the 2 bolt holes would be in the bed on a '74, whether or not there was a heater in it when it was new, don't you think, John H? It definitely was an option, then.

You guys who are 86ing yours, don't just lose them. Send them to me, and I'll restore them for someone who wants them. They're popular items for some folks. The cores may just need cleaning. They're definitely worth it in the right climate.

What would someone from Georgia know about it? :flipoff2:

I'm in the Utah mountains and that rear heater is your friend. Yes, they get in your way but in the winter they are worth their weight in gold. We take ours out in the summer to make more room and to protect the heater from the abuse of the summer thrashin'. If you have one and don't want it send it to me. We have three cruisers and only two rear heaters. One is always "out in the cold" (pun intended).

yeah I would think the holes are in the tub regarldess.......but maybe not? but prolly so.

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=8908;start=msg77161#msg77161 date=1071718702]
I would think the 2 bolt holes would be in the bed on a '74, whether or not there was a heater in it when it was new, don't you think, John H? It definitely was an option, then.

You guys who are 86ing yours, don't just lose them. Send them to me, and I'll restore them for someone who wants them. They're popular items for some folks. The cores may just need cleaning. They're definitely worth it in the right climate.

[/quote]

I am in the mountains of Az. VERY cold in winter, was 7 last night, DOOOH, not as bad as some states but bad enough, rear heater good!!!!

I just got done refurbishing mine, clean all the gunk of everything, puts out great!

Sethro

My '68 has rear heater -- looks different from the others I've seen but
was definitely there when the cruiser was built. Even here in Georgia
its nice to have -- I carry a lot of skinny boy scouts in my cruiser.

Any chance you can take a picture? Just wondering how it is different from the others.

[quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=8908;start=msg77161#msg77161 date=1071718702]

[/quote]
Enough to know that the little motor for it costs $80, mine is toast, I don't really need it, it looks bad and gets in the way :D

BTW everything involved in my rear heater other than the coil in the motor is in nearly perfect shape. So no I'm not going to give it away. :flipoff2:

You probably just need to clean the brushes, Bailey.

Keep it. When they work efficiently, there's quite a difference.

I also take mine out in the summer.

No, no, Bailey. Don't keep it. It will embarrass your mother. Send it to me. It's no good with that broken motor. I'll see to it it gets a good spot at the home for injured animals.

I have heard that the rear heaters were a stock item depending on the locale.
I looked at one '75 Kalifornia spec. FJ40 that came without it from the factory. No holes, lines, switches, etc.

I just had mine pressure tested, flushed, a leak fixed at a locale shop for $16, and around here it was worth every penny. It really helps cut down on rear glass fogging/frosting up. Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom