Rear hatch struts for a 99LX (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Dealer wants $460 to replace the rear hatch struts. $140 parts only for each strut.

You've got to me freaking kidding me.

Anyone found a good aftermarket affordable strut?

Maybe the LX has some fancy gas in the struts or something, but I'm guessing they are the same as the LC struts listed at toyotapartscheap for $95. Call CruiserDan and support him.

Can you Lube the struts? Mine don't allow the hatch to open all the way without help. Holds it up fine though.

Last edited:
When your struts finally go, a company that specializes in strut recharging can give them more "lift" than stock.

I have not replaced my liftgate struts yet, but I did replace the hood struts with some from Mr. Lou's Stuff. The delivery was prompt, the struts worked great, and to top it off total out of pocket was about $55 for the pair.

I came across them on the following post :beer::
I ordered the LX470 hood struts from Mr. Lou's Stuff on Monday and got them today (wednesday). They came in a stout mailer tube via priority mail.

The original struts have ball joints on each end and the strut is not removeable from the ball studs, so you unscrew the stud on each end thereby removing the entire strut assembly. The new struts have two ball studs and washers that you put in place of the old ones, and then the new strut can be put in place and a clip secures the strut to the ball stud. So the new ones can be removed by simply pulling the clip out.

Can't say how the rear hatch struts would work, but at least they got these right. Their return policy says they will take returns, you just pay return shipping if it is your fault for incorrect ordering, or they pay if you recieve incorrect parts.

Mr. Lou's. Mine work great. I need to do the rear hatch.

Bought mine at the local AutoZone. Cost me $36/each and 10 minutes to install. They work great even in the cold.

The OEM strut lifespan is not impressive. My previous pair lasted less than a year. The non-OEM have been working great for over 5 years.

3x Mr. Lou's.

4x, just did both my Cruiser's rear hatch struts with Mr. Lou's last week...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom