Rear Hatch Lock Actuator Problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.denalihwy.com
First: This most definitely is a First World Problem, in that the '88 62 I have just bought is so close to dealer-showroom perfection that I have to search really hard to find little problems.

I have been able to amass a very small number of them, though, and here's one:

The driver's door power lock does lock every door, including the rear hatch...but it unlocks only all the other doors. Rear hatch remains locked. A dissection of the hatch reveals that the wiring harness registers a nice blip of electricity when I hit "Lock", but nothing when I try "Unlock".

How - and more importantly: where - can there exist such a wiring gremlin? A diligent search through Mud failed to turn up a similar problem.

There are 2 relay's in the left rear panel near the rear window waterbag.One is for lock and one is to unlock the rear hatch.Press the centrallock switch lock/unlock and you will know which one is not activated.Search from there.

In spite of the few miles on your truck, I would perhaps remove, clean, and lube the lock mechanism. My FJ62 was getting power, but the hatch would not lock or unlock. A total clean/lube completely fixed it. I had to gut my hatch to repaint it, so it made sense to do this at that time.

I tested the relays - they are strange ones - and although both contact properly, I've no continuity between the two legs one one of them where there is continuity on the other. That is never a good sign....but given these things go for unobtanium prices, I fear I have to endure the horrors and tribulations of manually unlocking the gate for the next aeon or so.

If I understand correctly, these are the same as the Circuit Opening relays on Toyota's EFI fuel pumps. They are not like the 30-86-86-87 Bosch style relays, but seem to have something akin to a logic "If A Then B / If Not A Then C" set up. But I may not have glommed this correctly.

I would view the hatch remaining locked as feature. Some places were we travel local people have been know to loot stuff out of the back vehicles.

You can use this bosch relay to solve the problem.
bosch.jpg

connect 87 to door fuse +12V and 87a to ground
30 is connected to the hatch solenoid
86 +12v
85 ground

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom