Rear End Clunk When Turning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a clunk when turning at low speeds. It's definitely coming from the back of the vehicle. The weird thing is that you can only hear it inside the vehicle. I had a friend drive it while I stood outside and I wasn't able to hear it anymore. I got in the trunk while he drove it around and it seems to be coming from the whole rear floor. I put my ear to the floor and could not pinpoint it anymore than that. It's almost like it's being amplified by the body or it's originating there. Anyone encountered anything like this?

What you've described makes me think you've got an issue with your rear diff, but I'll leave it to someone who's actually got experience with fixing/troubleshooting diff issues to comment further.

Interesting. Just would have thought that would be loud outside the car.

Well without being able to hear it a bit more myself I can't speak to that point very well, but when you're talking funny noises from the back of the rig that only happen when turning, there isn't a long list of things it could be. Normally I'd suggest a stethoscope thingy to troubleshoot funny noises, but trying to attach that to points on your drivetrain while a buddy drives the car in a circle sounds bad for your health. ;)

In order, I'd check the following:
1) Exhaut system mounts
2) Shock mounts
3) Rear Sway Bar mounts
4) Rear Panhard Bar bushings
5) rear wheel bearings

I had a super weird noise coming from the rear at one point a couple years ago. occasionally it would clunk and but it was more scrapy, and very intermittent, but really only at low speeds. Turns out it was the parking brake. One of the little pins that hold the springs in there let go and one of the shoes was floppy. Super long shot, but ended being a easy fix.

While turning could be bad spider gears in the diff.

Thanks for the suggestions. Poked around down there and the lower shock bushings are dried out. I can slide the shock back and forth with my hand. Sounds like that's fairly common with OME unfortunately

I ordered the 9.8109g Energy Suspension bushings which hopefully are better. Fingers crossed that this fixes it.

Replaced the lower shock bushings. No dice. I replaced the rear swaybar bushings as well. Same thing.

Rear wheel bearings are tight.

Get the back up on stands, tires off the ground and start shaking everything. Wheels, drive shaft, control arms, exhaust, spin the wheels. See if any extra slop anywhere.

I'll admit something embarrassing. I had a "clunk" that I heard in the back-end of my 80 when I was turning hard to the right. For months I couldn't figure out what it was. I thought it was something with the suspension but I couldn't see anything wrong.

Then I realized it was the recovery hitch I had stored in the side compartment thumping against the side when I turned the corner.

If you think it’s a diff issue, drain it and have a look at the oil and magnet. I kinda doubt it though, a problem there would be obvious.

It does it happen with and without touching the brakes?
Good question. I'll see if I can test that tomorrow. I did check the caliper bolts, they are tight. Will pick up some gear oil as well so I can drain the diff.

1615343855703.gif

I'll admit something embarrassing. I had a "clunk" that I heard in the back-end of my 80 when I was turning hard to the right. For months I couldn't figure out what it was. I thought it was something with the suspension but I couldn't see anything wrong.

Then I realized it was the recovery hitch I had stored in the side compartment thumping against the side when I turned the corner.
Yeah I pulled off the plastic on the rear quarter panels and checked for stuff rolling around. Didn't see anything. It also pops at such low speeds that I don't think it's something rolling.

Good question. I'll see if I can test that tomorrow. I did check the caliper bolts, they are tight. Will pick up some gear oil as well so I can drain the diff.

View attachment 2609164
Yea that’s what I was getting at, caliper hitting the wheel. Even if it’s not that, still be good to know if the brakes are in yin any way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom