Rear End Clunk When Turning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Are the screws that hold your tailgate supports tight? I have had these work loose and make a noise. Not really a popping noise but maybe you should give everything on the tailgate and hatch a good check. Ie latches, hinges, and supports.
I did try that. They are a little loose but I'm pretty sure that's not it. I drove around with the tailgate open and there was no change. I bungeed the supports together to get rid of the slop and there was no change. I checked all the bolts on the tailgate and they seem tight.

Interesting. Did a new body mount fix it? I did look at them briefly. They are pretty dried up. One thing I was wondering is whether these mounts are correct. Is there supposed to be a bolt through there?
View attachment 2609298
I am fairly certain these guys are part of the problem. There is about a 1/8" gap between these bushings and the frame. I shoved some shims in there and the sound was changed. Less frequent and much less loud.

Anyone know if these pucks are supposed to fit tightly or is there supposed to be a gap?

CD15FB16-C531-4A02-9AAF-ADAD3FDC6581.jpeg

Fixed it! It was the rearmost body mounts. I undid the through bolts, cleaned them up, anti-siezed, and torqued them down pretty good. One of them must have been just loose enough to move around from the force of turning.

Fixed it! It was the rearmost body mounts. I undid the through bolts, cleaned them up, anti-siezed, and torqued them down pretty good. One of them must have been just loose enough to move around from the force of turning.
ClunkBodyMount.png

Loooooong time on this forum - first post. Yes, its a thread resurrection but I have spend HOURS trying to track down the source of the clunk on turns - and DARKNESS post nailed it for me. The noise had been travelling up the chassis and sounding like it was anything but the rear mount. But ... when I inspected the washer on the rearmost body mount (Number 5 in the toyota FSM pics) I found this. Clear evidence of movement between two positions. Thought this might helkp someone else who finds this thread in future....

It seems the customary salutation is :flipoff2: ... Oh, and greetings from Perth Australia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom