Rear End Clunk When Turning (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Get the back up on stands, tires off the ground and start shaking everything. Wheels, drive shaft, control arms, exhaust, spin the wheels. See if any extra slop anywhere.
Did this. Seemed ok, rear wheels spun free, no grinding or anything. There's a little slop but seemed like normal gear lash.

I replaced the exhaust a couple weeks ago, but it was clunking before that. Was hoping the new exhaust would fix the clunk but no such luck. Did fix my whistle though.

Rear control arms seem tight or at least I can't move them by hand.

Also tried jumping on the bumper and rocking back and forth. Neither of those seem to make it happen.

Check your body mounts. I had the rearmost mount fail on my 91 and you are describing the same noise I heard. It sounded like it was coming from the factory bottle jack location.

Also check your exhaust hangers.....

Check your body mounts. I had the rearmost mount fail on my 91 and you are describing the same noise I heard. It sounded like it was coming from the factory bottle jack location.

Also check your exhaust hangers.....
I didn't even think of the body mounts. That sounds the most likely thing I've heard yet based on what he described. Is that a common thing? I don't think I've ever inspected mine.

I didn't even think of the body mounts. That sounds the most likely thing I've heard yet based on what he described. Is that a common thing? I don't think I've ever inspected mine.
I don't know if it is common, but anything can come loose including a body lift mount. In my situation I had a body lift and it actually cracked the body above the puck. Part of the body is glued together above the rearmost mount and that also came unglued when I cracked the body above the body lift puck.

I don't know if it is common, but anything can come loose including a body lift mount. In my situation I had a body lift and it actually cracked the body above the puck. Part of the body is glued together above the rearmost mount and that also came unglued when I cracked the body above the body lift puck.
Interesting. Did a new body mount fix it? I did look at them briefly. They are pretty dried up. One thing I was wondering is whether these mounts are correct. Is there supposed to be a bolt through there?
1615351901806.jpeg

Interesting. Did a new body mount fix it? I did look at them briefly. They are pretty dried up. One thing I was wondering is whether these mounts are correct. Is there supposed to be a bolt through there?
View attachment 2609298

Yes that is correct.

That is not a body mount, it is a body bushings thing and is simply bolted to the frame. The body mounts have bolts going all the way through them. Check the body mounts under the tail lights. If the bolts have worked loose or if the actual rubber is severely degraded it will make a noise.

In my situation I actually had the body of the truck crack above my rearmost mount. Removing the mount and lift puck (I had a body lift) and welding the cracked body fixed it for me.

Yes that is correct.

That is not a body mount, it is a body bushings thing and is simply bolted to the frame. The body mounts have bolts going all the way through them. Check the body mounts under the tail lights. If the bolts have worked loose or if the actual rubber is severely degraded it will make a noise.

In my situation I actually had the body of the truck crack above my rearmost mount. Removing the mount and lift puck (I had a body lift) and welding the cracked body fixed it for me.
I'll check them out. They're probably degraded. I didn't see any cracks in the body though.

Is it like a random clunk, or one time only when beginning a slow speed turn, or a constant fast or slow clunk,clunk,clunk while turning slowly?

And does the direction of the turn make a difference?

I don’t really have anything in mind that you haven’t already tested, I’m just trying to think though it.

100% sure the back of the truck is the origin of the sound?

Is it like a random clunk, or one time only when beginning a slow speed turn, or a constant fast or slow clunk,clunk,clunk while turning slowly?

And does the direction of the turn make a difference?

I don’t really have anything in mind that you haven’t already tested, I’m just trying to think though it.

100% sure the back of the truck is the origin of the sound?
Clunks in both directions. It seems to happen twice on most turns. Once when you turn and once when you straighten out. I'll find somewhere to drive in a circle and see if its repetitive.

Clunks in both directions. It seems to happen twice on most turns. Once when you turn and once when you straighten out. I'll find somewhere to drive in a circle and see if its repetitive.
Is your jack tied down inside the fender well?

Yes that is correct.

Here's my rear body mount. Definitely dried out. Body looks fine though. I'll order a new set.

C8EF476F-920E-42F3-8695-B94FF1C34A40.jpeg

Have someone rock your truck side to side while you watch it looking and listening for play.
Tried that. Doesn't replicate it.

I did figure out that I can consistently replicate it if I jerk the wheel hard to either side going about 5 mph. Once in awhile it won't do it but it will pop slightly later. It seems like it's something binding in the suspension or control arms or something. Sway bar makes alot of sense but I've already replaced those bushings. Maybe I'll try taking it off and seeing if it still happens.

It does not happen if I'm not moving while jerking the wheel. I am also much more confident its in the rear.

Are the screws that hold your tailgate supports tight? I have had these work loose and make a noise. Not really a popping noise but maybe you should give everything on the tailgate and hatch a good check. Ie latches, hinges, and supports.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom