Rear corner glass weatherstrip problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1980 FJ40 left rear corner glass weatherstrip seems to be leaking water into the frame and escapes through a hole in the interior of my FJ. The weather strip seems to be new, but when i removed the glass, I can see the previous owner didn't do a good job reframing. A metal shop owner said that it would be very expensive to make this right, and he could not guarantee that a leak won't happen. I'm thinking of doing the quick fix by buying a new OEM weatherstrip, put the glass back in, and then filling the outside of the weatherstrip with a silicone. Thoughts, advice, ideas welcomed.

IMG_6428.jpeg

IMG_6427.jpeg

IMG_6424.jpeg

That's probably a bit cheeky on saying you need a whole tub. However, it does look like this was done pretty shoddily
and a lot of bondo. The quick fix with silicone won't really solve this. I'd take this quarter panel off and media blast
it to see what the real condition of the whole panel is. Looking at the prior *fix*, i'd imagine this panel is in pretty poor condition underneath.

I agree with fixing it the right way, blasting and repairing, but if you decided to use a sealant, use a urethane based sealant like something intended for windshields. The 80 series forum has some good info on tricks for sealing the windshield.

Why other talk about quarter panel , the pics are of a corner glass opening :meh:
That section is called the upper quarter panel (left side). If you look at the original pic you can see malformed bondo on the upper part of that window
opening and you can see the paint bubbling below the window. All of that seems indicative of deeper problems in that whole panel.

Your right i also see the bubble , but i dont understand others comment about tub replacement
True, it's the hardtop side panel that needs fixing/replacing.

I was afraid that I would need to fix the base metal, rather than stuffing silicone around the strip.
I’m new to this, can you please clarify when you mentioned about getting a new tub?

The reason I say a new tub is because of 2 reasons. When you see the rust problem you have , most likely it is not just the window opening. The second reason is after the mid 1970's , the steel got thinner and more prone to rust with the FJ40.
It is up to you how far you dig into rust repair but from experience sometimes it is just better to replace the tub. That is why there are vendors building them because replace is sometimes better than the amount of work to repair.

Not sure why someone would tell you to replace your tub without seeing it? You do have a bit of a PO mess there anyway. I would cover the surrounding areas carefully and strip the paint/bondo around the window to the base metal. Forget sand blasting - stripper and PPE - if you can still find a mask/gloves :) That way you/others can see what the damage really is and consider the possibility of a proper, welded up fix. I'd do that first - without even removing the top. And X2 on whitey45's comment.

Thanks to All. Your input has made it clear - there is no short fix. I never done any body work before, but I guess this is where I begin. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom