Rear brakes god as new Thanks to MUD! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Today after gathering all the parts I decided to tackle my busted rear wheel cylinder issue. I'm by no means qualified to do this but with help from you guys I get some crazy confidence. Here's how I tackled this today. First you can see the inside of my tire covered in fluid. Started as a tiny leak I couldn't find then in a couple weeks was up to a half pint a day! Then I got my parts, new shoes, wheel cylinders, and all the hardware. A case of brake cleaner, some grease, and some gloves. You can see in the third pic they hadn't been touched in a while.
IMG01010-20120812-0931.jpg
IMG01011-20120812-0934.jpg
IMG01009-20120812-0931.jpg

So with everything taken apart I found the bad cylinder. 172k on it so I ain't complaining. Swapped both out, might as well. All the fluid has eaten the paint clean off the back plate so gave it a couple coats of caliper paint. And threw on the fresh new cylinders.
IMG01013-20120812-1029.jpg
IMG01012-20120812-1029.jpg
IMG01015-20120812-1137.jpg

Clean and fresh back plate. Threw on the all new hardware, with the help from some Mud vets. And on with the cleaned and painted drums and wheels.
IMG01016-20120812-1147.jpg
IMG01017-20120812-1410.jpg
IMG01018-20120812-1817.jpg

Nice job. Got everything bled and adjusted?

And after bleeding this is what came out. Not too bad but since I was running pint after pint through it I flushed it pretty good. The gunk in the Master cyl was pretty nasty. All in all I feel great about it. Stops better than ever and my E brake is steadily getting better. Thanks for the help as always!
IMG01020-20120812-1906.jpg

Thanks. Everything bled perfect. As for the adjusting what should I be looking for? My ebrake was seized when I started, I got it loose and now I'm slowly getting it lubed up hopefully to not have to replace it.

Nice job. Got everything bled and adjusted?

Lol sooo about this adjusting..... Took it on a short drive and pedal was firm, stopped great, didn't feel like there was any drag. But I got home and the passenger side was smoking. Not bad but definitely smoking. Other side was hot also. I only drove a couple miles around the neighborhood. So what do i adjust? I've been reading threads all day.

Thanks. Everything bled perfect. As for the adjusting what should I be looking for? My ebrake was seized when I started, I got it loose and now I'm slowly getting it lubed up hopefully to not have to replace it.

you did take the bell cranks apart, while you had everything else off right?
they have some pretty loose fitting parts, but once they freeze up or get stiff no amount of lube in the world will free them....without taking them apart.

you did take the bell cranks apart, while you had everything else off right?
they have some pretty loose fitting parts, but once they freeze up or get stiff no amount of lube in the world will free them....without taking them apart.

Yeah took em apart cleaned em up real good. They seem to be working proper. It's the actual cable that was seized.

Yeah took em apart cleaned em up real good. They seem to be working proper. It's the actual cable that was seized.

My cable was siezed, did everything I could to avoid replacing it. Finally just replaced it. Shoulda done it sooner. ebrakes work better now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom