rear axle service help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
83 toy 4cyl 5 speed stock started replacing rear wheel cylinders noticed alot of what appeared to be grease everywhere on passengers side pretty sur seal is leaking. i have never done this before and want to make sure this job is not out of my league. should i replace everything while im in there as well? there all original parts

I would replace the seals and wheel bearings. You might want to replace the lug studs as well. I have had a couple break recently and plan on changing them all on my 85. Might as well do the pads and turn the drums while you're in there.

Buy OEM parts from Toyota or the rear kit from Marlin. Marlin also makes a heavy duty rear axle seal. I would suggest you use that one.

Mobil 1 (red) synthetic grease for the wheel bearings, some type of synthetic in the diff (I use Redline) and you should be good to go. The rear axle isn't that difficult.

Do you have the FSM? It helps a lot.

Mobil 1 (red) synthetic grease for the wheel bearings...

???

Rear wheel bearings are sealed, you don't grease them.

There's been threads on this before, you should search on rear wheel bearing replacement. Best method is with the proper puller tool and a press, or you can go the brute-force "bang it on the concrete" method. Either way, the wheel brearing has to come off to get to the seal, so you might as well replace the bearing too.

???

Rear wheel bearings are sealed, you don't grease them.

That rings a bell all of a sudden! :doh:

I did front and rear axles at the same time.....used a lot of grease! Sorry about the misinformation.

Seal keeps oil in...

old_seal.jpg

Sealed bearing outside of axle seal...

snapring.jpg

There's actually 2 "seals" in that top photo, the other is the big O-ring just inside the 4 bolt holes.

Then there's another seal behind the bearing, it's held by that flange in the brake backing plate.

you guys are great thanks for the info! sorry bout the rookie question ill check the service board next time

So the sealed bearing is sealed away from the outside world by the O ring and the outer seal?

Yup. The O-ring and the outer seal are pretty much there to protect the bearing, not hold gear lube in the axle. But, if you DO see gear lube, then you should replace ALL the seals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom