Real world experiences towing a 40 with... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woytovich

Science...
SILVER Star
Threads
...an 80, 100 or v6 Double cab Tacoma with tow package or other Land Cruiser on a car trailer with trailer brakes. (Not really interested in bumping up to a Tundra.)

If you do or have done any of these combos let me know your thoughts on viability - long trips including 2 lane mountain roads.

(Substitute a Mini/4Runner rock crawler instead of a 40 if that is what you have)

Mark

...an 80, 100 or v6 Double cab Tacoma with tow package or other Land Cruiser on a car trailer with trailer brakes. (Not really interested in bumping up to a Tundra.)

If you do or have done any of these combos let me know your thoughts on viability - long trips including 2 lane mountain roads.

(Substitute a Mini/4Runner rock crawler instead of a 40 if that is what you have)

Mark
I’ll install the brake controller on my 100, then you can tow your 40 to my house and judge for yourself. ;) Dinner and drinks will be included.:beer:

I've towed my 40 on a trailer using several vehicles I've owned - an 80, 07 Tacoma DBL cab, and an FJ Cruiser going from northern VA to Tellico in TN. All of the vehicles worked fine but it helped that the trailer has brakes on both axles. Getting going was fine and I didn't have problems braking but it felt more comfortable with the 80. The 80 had the most trouble accelerating but it just felt better once up to speed.

Also towed with my son's 4.7 Runner one year. Good acceleration and enough weight to feel safe.

If it goes, it tows.

I need to know if it'll be safe of course but also if it'll get moving if I have to stop or significantly slow on a hill... Can I do Eisenhower Pass on I70 up and down?
Dual axle brakes on the trailer for sure and a weight distributing anti_sway hitch if necessary.

I towed my 40 with my LX450 round trip from Victoria, BC, Canada to the Rubicon in September of 2007.
I would never do that again. Not enough juice in the mountains. Going over Siskiyou Pass between OR and CA, I had the truck in 1st with heaters on high. Talk about a hot foot! I had to switch feet on the accelerator, it was so hot. I was getting passed by fully loaded big rigs. I was doing 15 mph on the shoulder to the right of the slow truck lane. Heated trans fluid pretty good.

IMG_0179.PNG

I always think of this post when thinking of pulling a 40 with another land cruiser. I always pull my 40 with my f250 diesel and after many trips I would never do it with my lx470.

FWIW it LOOKS like he had a bunch of other stuff loaded on the trailer as well. I see 2 axles and what looks to be an engine. But yes, I currently trailer my 60 with a Yukon XL (2500) on a 10k car trailer with dual axle brakes and even with that I need to practice just that much more defensive driving to try to avoid panic stops/turns.
Sobering info.... thanks.

A Taco, especially a 3rd Gen won't cut it in the Rockies.

What is the highest rated 4wd Tacoma year/model towing-wise? (presuming any available tow package, anti sway control hitch and electric brake trailer axles)

About 6,800# for the 2nd Gens.

Is this right?
Max trailered vehicle weight (ready to wheel) = Tow rating of tow vehicle - weight of cargo etc above empty tow vehicle weight - weight of trailer?

weights, approx:
4200 for the 40
1600 for an aluminum trailer
5800.... seem about right?
If there are scales on the highway near where you live, I’d just take it and get
a real number. My 60 & trailer I weighed just last week and then I weighed my trailer separately
right behind it. I usually use the scales when they are closed, easy at home.
Can’t say about where you live

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom