Real time help stranded (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don’t believe it’s the ignition switch because the relay at the passenger foot is triggered every time I turn the key. I cleaned all the grounds that would affect starting, I used my jumper cables to ground starter to different parts of the frame, I bench tested both starters I own and installed at different times, I dismantled the circuit opening relay and it looks perfect, newer optima battery, etc, etc. I probably tried to start it a couple thousand times in those few hours being stranded. Finally went to check the relay under the drivers side dash and noticed it was pretty hot, dipped the body of it in cold water for about a minute, plugged it back in and started on the first try. That would be a massive coincidence, but I am open to the idea that it could be. I need to dig in with a multimeter this weekend and see where the break down is I guess. This morning it started fine for the first 5-6 times, now doing it again. I’m a construction manager and have nine houses all inside one large neighborhood so I am constantly stopping and starting the car, and sitting for longer periods of time in my car with it running in the air conditioning on. Temperature always is right in the middle. Have owned for 7-8 years so know the ins and outs of her and do all my own wrenching (except tranny rebuild). This one is stumping me, Especially since I’ve thought I’d fixed it on 3-4 different occasions over the last three months. It seems like It may only occur when it’s warmed up???

if you find your self needing that 85910-14020 relay , contact fellow member @3_puppies , Paul will most likely have a good one for you

that looks like a Mortgage payment dealer part , if its not already DISC. / NLA ?

1597330980530.png

Glad you got yourself back on the road.

I’d still bypass that old wiring and install a auxiliary relay wired directly from the battery. I’ve done that on 2 of my Cruisers with the exact symptoms you are having.

After the ’relay fix’, the issue has never reoccurred. Never.

Will do tonight. Thx.

if you do happen to diagnose a bad IGN. key switch assy

i keep the dealer DISC. one instock at all times for ALL FJ62's 88-90...............

Thx

Those relays are actually reproduced by those cheapo manufacturers like standard and inter-motor too

Last edited:
Glad you got yourself back on the road.

I’d still bypass that old wiring and install a auxiliary relay wired directly from the battery. I’ve done that on 2 of my Cruisers with the exact symptoms you are having.

After the ’relay fix’, the issue has never reoccurred. Never.

Same here. On two of the Cruisers that are EFI'd, etc. I've had to install an auxiliary relay and both times the issue has been corrected.

Picking up solenoid and in-line fuse today to run auxiliary. Also new relay should be ready for pickup today as well.

Picking up solenoid and in-line fuse today to run auxiliary. Also new relay should be ready for pickup today as well.
Can someone please provide a link to the post that shows how to do this install?
Thanks

Can someone please provide a link to the post that shows how to do this install?
Thanks

Here is a good simple diagram that shows how to wire up an auxiliary relay. Because you are only supplying power to the starter relay and not the main power cable you can use a smaller wiring circuit relay vs a heavier ford or gm style fender mount solenoid.

1597417608083.png

ignore the yellow wire in this diagram. Simply take the stock wiring terminal off the starter solenoid and run it to the #86 terminal of the relay. You will run a new wire from the battery to the #30 terminal and out the #87 terminal to the terminal on the starter relay. I think 10 gage or 12 gage wire is plenty....given its now a shorter run. You should also put a fuse in the wire between the battery and the relay.

The numbers here are pretty standard and will be shown either in a diagram on the side of the relay like this:

1597425355410.png

and additionally numbered at each terminal like this:

1597425397378.png

the nice thing about this is that your stock starting circuit doesn't get modified at all and the load on all of the components in that circuit is all but eliminated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom