Real time help stranded (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Fj62 has had intermittent starting problems where it just clicks but doesn’t start. Thought my starter was going bad, replaced it, still had the same problem very intermittent. Removed the ground wire from the starter cleaned it all up put it back on and that seem to fix it. Four weeks later it just started doing again. That little relay by the passenger foot is clicking and seems to be working??? Usually I would just keep turning the key and maybe after 3 to 150 attempts it would just start up like nothing was ever wrong in the first place. This time no luck...

Is the starter spinning or do you just hear the click of the solenoid?

What is your current battery voltage? Have you tried hitting the starter with a non metallic stick while someone turns the key?

New battery. Good voltage, definitely not a starter issue. Bench tested both starters. I stop and start my truck probably 30 times a day for my job too. So, the last 500 or so starts, hasn’t been an issue

Battery cables getting old or corroded?

If you are for certain still hearing a clicking sound when you turn the key then the starter under there is bad (even if you put a new one in).

Did you buy an OEM Toyota / Denso starter? I had starter problems for years until I gave in and bought a Denso unit.

If it's not the starter then check these:
-fusible links
-battery cables (no marine buttery fly nut styles!)
-ignition may be worn and intermittent issues when you turn the key.

Show us some pictures in the engine and under where the starter is. We may spot something you are missing.

Ignition key lock cylinder could be bad on steering wheel - but that doesn't explain why everything worked fine for a month after you cleaned up the grounds

The starter gets its ground through its body bolted to the bellhousing. The bellhousing is grounded to the engine block, and the block ground is attached to a motor mount with a thick black cable leading up to the body (for body ground) and ultimately the battery negative terminal.

Since it sounds like you're experiencing a Go-No Go situation (it either cranks or doesn't) I'd check the grounds again and maybe the key cylinder

Try taking off the parking brake and rocking the truck once or twice against the parking pawl. I've occasionally had a no start situation and this has solved it a couple times, no idea why.

Try putting the truck in park, setting the parking brake, turn the key to run position and then use some heavy gage wire to jump from battery positive to the solenoid terminal. If the truck cranks no problem then the wires that feed power to the solenoid need replacing. Easier is to add an auxiliary relay with new wires from the battery to starter and use old wire off solenoid to trigger new relay.

Turn on the headlights before you attempt to start the truck. If they go dark when you turn the key, there's a huge current draw going on, likely due to a bad connection. Also, many rebuilt starters are junk, so don't rule out your new starter.

C5BFE257-B622-42E1-B007-2858B223336F.jpeg
3ED5F66F-03F9-43A2-A64E-C161A0A2103C.jpeg

I have a ground wire that runs from the bottom bolt of the starter to my frame. See pics. I just was doing a rapid succession key turn and it actually turned over but I accidentally turned it back off since I was going so fast...ah life...anyway, is that ground Cable not normal?

992EB06D-FE41-4315-8518-471A797C93E5.jpeg

35CC10CE-E989-4D9F-83E7-49A0004210D7.jpeg

Got it. The relay under the dash on the driver side was really hot. Removed it and dipped the body of it in a cup of water for a minute and it started right up. Is getting hot normal or is it a sign of going bad?

Either way I ordered a new one. Interesting though, I’ve never heard of this issue or fix..

STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Reread post # 8 @Seth S . Doing what is suggested (It takes less than 5 minutes) will likely get you started, and then you will know what to do to solve your issue.

Issue has been found already, and I wasn’t in my garage w access to my tools and supplies. Thanks for the help all.

Issue has been found already, and I wasn’t in my garage w access to my tools and supplies. Thanks for the help all.

whats the issue ?

your killing us here !

I NEED to know now ............. :popcorn:

Assuming that’s the sta

I’m not 100% sure you found the real problem. I have a suspicion you found a result of the problem. I’m thinking the relay got hot because of a circuit problem like high resistance in the old wiring. But it’s also possible a new relay will hold up for a while. I’d have to look over the wiring diagrams to understand how the electrical load works with that relay.

I am gonna take a little leap and suggest based on everything stated thus far by everyone

it’s the Electrical key switch inside the steering column ....

the symptoms point to it and it should be further
Investigated to confirm or deny

I don’t believe it’s the ignition switch because the relay at the passenger foot is triggered every time I turn the key. I cleaned all the grounds that would affect starting, I used my jumper cables to ground starter to different parts of the frame, I bench tested both starters I own and installed at different times, I dismantled the circuit opening relay and it looks perfect, newer optima battery, etc, etc. I probably tried to start it a couple thousand times in those few hours being stranded. Finally went to check the relay under the drivers side dash and noticed it was pretty hot, dipped the body of it in cold water for about a minute, plugged it back in and started on the first try. That would be a massive coincidence, but I am open to the idea that it could be. I need to dig in with a multimeter this weekend and see where the break down is I guess. This morning it started fine for the first 5-6 times, now doing it again. I’m a construction manager and have nine houses all inside one large neighborhood so I am constantly stopping and starting the car, and sitting for longer periods of time in my car with it running in the air conditioning on. Temperature always is right in the middle. Have owned for 7-8 years so know the ins and outs of her and do all my own wrenching (except tranny rebuild). This one is stumping me, Especially since I’ve thought I’d fixed it on 3-4 different occasions over the last three months. It seems like It may only occur when it’s warmed up???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom