I think it's finally time...Help me with this decision (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok Fellas and Fellettes,

Critical juncture reached and I'm conflicted on what to do. My rig has been my daily driver and the 3fe has 290K on the clock. It runs great with just about everything off the block replaced in the last 5 years. The A440F while still getting me around is at the end of the road.

I can do the H55F swap for $10,$12 or 14K from the 3 different quotes received by the more reputable LC shops here in the PNW.

Option 1: Do the H55F swap and drive on. (Not interested in rebuilding the A440F)

Option 2: Rebuild the 3FE. I've been warned by Tony at LCNW that new cylinder heads are getting to be unobtainium if it is found that mine can't be machined because of possible crack. (I don't have any signs currently of a cracked head)

Option 3: Source a reaman/rebuilt 3fe. (Any suggestions on a reputable source?)

Option 4: Do the 5.3/6.0 swap. Long wait list from the better shops, but if anyone has suggestions for a reputable shop in the PNW that is up for it, PLMK.

Thanks all... and by the way, anyone that has an A440F they think is ready for the scrap pile because it's slipping, don't give up on it just yet. They are more robust than they get credit for. Just do a Rodney flush and clean the filter, you might be surprised. This last big 1000 mile trip to the Oregon outback, I smoked the tranny fluid by pushing way too hard on the freeway. Found some shade in the parking lot of a Bi-Mart in Pendleton, dropped the pan, cleaned the filter and ran 5 gals of new fluid through. Finished the trip with just a little sherpa help out of a steep canyon from by buddy's tundra. Still driving it daily, but it's not healthy. Maybe I'll drop the pan one more time and see what happens! Or not..😬

We will all be making this decision at some point if we keep our vehicles. I am going with the new engine route just to give it a new life. I know the 5.3 gets better gas mileage too then the horriible 3Fe mileage (fill up every 200 milesish). Torfab is booked out 2 years at least on engine swaps. I recently rebuilt the 440 and it is going strong now but when I do the engine swap its gone in a few years. If I was to keep the 3Fe engine I would probably consider a H55 swap only (those quotes seem high? 5k for parts the rest labor?) Good luck with the choice.

Ok Fellas and Fellettes,

Critical juncture reached and I'm conflicted on what to do. My rig has been my daily driver and the 3fe has 290K on the clock. It runs great with just about everything off the block replaced in the last 5 years. The A440F while still getting me around is at the end of the road.

I can do the H55F swap for $10,$12 or 14K from the 3 different quotes received by the more reputable LC shops here in the PNW.

Option 1: Do the H55F swap and drive on. (Not interested in rebuilding the A440F)

Option 2: Rebuild the 3FE. I've been warned by Tony at LCNW that new cylinder heads are getting to be unobtainium if it is found that mine can't be machined because of possible crack. (I don't have any signs currently of a cracked head)

Option 3: Source a reaman/rebuilt 3fe. (Any suggestions on a reputable source?)

Option 4: Do the 5.3/6.0 swap. Long wait list from the better shops, but if anyone has suggestions for a reputable shop in the PNW that is up for it, PLMK.

Thanks all... and by the way, anyone that has an A440F they think is ready for the scrap pile because it's slipping, don't give up on it just yet. They are more robust than they get credit for. Just do a Rodney flush and clean the filter, you might be surprised. This last big 1000 mile trip to the Oregon outback, I smoked the tranny fluid by pushing way too hard on the freeway. Found some shade in the parking lot of a Bi-Mart in Pendleton, dropped the pan, cleaned the filter and ran 5 gals of new fluid through. Finished the trip with just a little sherpa help out of a steep canyon from by buddy's tundra. Still driving it daily, but it's not healthy. Maybe I'll drop the pan one more time and see what happens! Or not..😬
I can confirm the rodney flush can help or extend the life of the AT. the experience is underwhelming too, but the trepidation leading up to it will get you excited.

5.3 or 6.0.

LS Swap is awesome but expensive, if your 3fe is still good, the h55f will really wake it up with your 4.10 diff gears. It will be significantly cheaper. I live in portland, give me a shout if you want to drive my 60 with a 5.3 in it to see if you like it

I've got a good 3fe head, and 2 A440's. As mentioned an LS swap is not cheap to do right (even doing it yourself). I think running 4.88's really took some load off my 3FE/A440. Highly recommended, along with the biggest cooler you can fit and synthetic fluid. They run hotter than many other autos.

I got my H55F directly from Toyota for $2600 in 2021. Even if 3K now, will it be 9K in other parts and labor to do the tranny swap?

I have a 60 and not a 62, so excuse my ignorance if it entails markedly different level of time to swap…

I got my H55F directly from Toyota for $2600 in 2021. Even if 3K now, will it be 9K in other parts and labor to do the tranny swap?

I have a 60 and not a 62, so excuse my ignorance if it entails markedly different level of time to swap…
yeah i do not see how it is that expensive to do the swap. Something else gotta be going on

Great to know. Between my 60, 55 (with a 3F motor), and my first gen Tacoma, it’s hard to keep everything straight! I guess these are the good problems to have for sure!

Let me know best way to move forward from your end. Happy to send check, Venmo, PayPal, etc and happy to send dissy so in your hands.

Let me know if anything else you think is good to think about to optimize the dissy too. Do folks recurve the non USA dissy too (on top of the vacuum advance)?

If you are paying a shop to do it, ~$10K or more is pretty typical pricing for a completely finished (consider front carpet change) and properly done H55f conversion into an automatic FJ62. Consider current market pricing on the used conversion parts, rising labor costs, carpet kit, etc.

DIY or putting a H55f into a 85-87 60 are completely different situations and not relevant to the OP's post

Keep the 3FE and go H55. It will feel like a whole new truck.

Part of the charm of the 60 and 62 are the 2F and. 3FE engines. Rowing gears makes it that much better. I've never much been a fan of the Auto in a 62. but rowing the 4 and 5 speed transmissions is great.

if you purchase direct from toyota and do some work yourself you can come in FAR under 10k. maybe some folks here on mud. would be willing to lend a hand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom