Real Time Help Relay Rod and Pittman Arm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have pretty lose steering and I'm trying to adjust it but noticed the relay rod ball socket has come loose and if I take the castle nut off the pitman arm it will pull out completely. I tried to lock it back in with a floor jack but it's not going back in. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can get pics if needed to help diagnose

It's all gunked up and frozen inside the relay rod. The parts aren't sliding. Take it apart, clean & grease & you're ready to go.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Do I have to pull the tire? I can't seem to get a screwdriver on it with the tirecon

Or buy one of these:

(drag link socket)

spin_prod_206554301

I got the end unscrewed but there was nothing to pull out of the end

At this point in your project it's appropriate to say pix would help

Before this point I say replace all with OEM new and read fsm for torque specs and more :cheers:
The proper tool for this is certainly not a floor jack.

file.php

Below happened when my steering pitman arm side relay rod end got loose, should have replaced first day because no more steering!
EDIT: notice the tiretrack on the right side just passing the big tree?, my mirror was hit but car was fine, used slight brake and it went to the other side of the road.
I was speeding a bit and this road is very bad, normally I drive very slow there :hmm:
Missing a tree while not be able to do anything:
file.php

before I copy/paste my weekend: I keep pictures here ans many have threads with more: hj60.freeforums.org • View topic - Power steering fluid + steering linkage tie rod

Last edited:
That's some beautiful countryside, HJ60 ....

Thanks for all the replys. I finally got the relay rod end off and will just get a new one.

Get a whole new set of TREs and be done with it. No sense in replacing one part only to have one of the others fail. Talk with @beno or @cruiseroutfit or one of the others to get the OEM or 555 brand, do not get anything else.

And with the 555s be careful to get the Made in Japan ones, not the Made in China ones. I know @cruiseroutfit is very careful to source the correct ones. I also believe the OEM ones only come with new rods, so they end up being more costly than they need to be.

We (Cruiser Outfitters) have the Japanese 555 joint kits, OEM linkage kits, individual ends and rebild kits for the drag-link too!

Cruiser Outfitters

Choose the blue or red pill wisely because I have gone back to vendors with new parts so many times :D
The difference between LHD and RHD is a conical hole, perfect to find out when everything is apart and the new one does not fit :skull:
Time to jump on the motorcycle and drive 125 km to get on locally :deadhorse:

(this was a vendor mistake: allrad keba send 2 RHD and it took me to many emails to correct it)
<< LHD and RHD >>
file.php

Still nothing is mentioned on their website about lhd and rhd: :bang:
Spurstangenkopf, 59,90 €, Allrad Keba, Landcruiser Teile

Good luck, replacing them is a tough job, get the right tools and watch out because it involves a lot of force when pressing apart.

One more picture to urge everybody to replace with 5 new, don't die while saving money: :cheers:

file.php

Last edited:
Yeah and you don't want something like this to happen when you are on the road, let alone on the trail (lucky for me it was a crawling flat uphill section).

Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom