real time help needed no start condition (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
LX450 135,000 miles. Running great no problems two weeks straight up in the mountains nine mile canyon near Myton and Price Utah. It is not getting fuel. Will run off starting fluid and die. The EFI fuse was blown in the engine compartment. Replaced it and still would not start and it is not blowing with a new fuse. Will crank fine and just not start. Pulled the fuel pump out and will test it with a twelve volt battery. I also need a service manual if anyone has one for an lx they want to sell.

forgot to mention I am now 200 miles away from it. I am looking for a list of maybes to the cause so when I go back on monday or tuesday I will have an idea of what it might be. So sudden, one time it starts and the next it doesn't.

Doing some more research I will be buying a new fuel pump strainer, some efi relays and lots of 10 gauge and 16 gauge wire for the wiring to the relays and o2 sensor wiring. Has anyone heard of a bad fuel pump on an 80 series? I see a $300 part that noone carries so it must be a pretty uncommon fix on these. HElp anyone?

check plug wires and distributor?

thanks that sounds like an identical issue cdan gets the call in the morning for parts. Hopefully this doesn't become an epidemic but our mileage is almost identical and I have been on extremely bumpy roads as of late.
Hopefully it will be the fix.

Doug's problem was a persistent short in a wire in the fuel tank causing the EFI fuse to blow every time.

Something caused your EFI fuse to blow but now it doesn't blow the fuse. That doesn't sound like the same problem that Doug had.

-B-

Do you have 12v at the pump? Do not use common grd use the grd off the connector to the pump to test
Yes - Replace pump
No- I would feed the pump with clean 12volt power from the battery. Sometimes when a wire is shorted and you keep replacing the bad fuse you can burn the wire apart and the fuse will hold but 12v to equipment. Relay could be bad also.
12v from the battery to a good pump will get you home where you can troubleshoot the problem.

intermittent no start, hotwire fuel pump

I have a 96 TLC with 225k miles. I have had an intermittent no start issue lately. I have not had any fuses blow. Each time it has not started, I jumper a wire from the battery to the connector at the fuel pump resistor (which is located near the air cleaner on the fender) and the car starts. I remove the wire and all is fine. My guess at this time is that while cranking the engine over, either the relays are not sending 12v to the fuel pump or there is not quite enough voltage to the fuel pump. The battery is a new optima with good clean terminals, fwiw. I have temporarily removed the power relay which is located at the drivers foot and jumpered pins 2-4 with a piece of wire so that when the key is in the On position, the fuel pump runs. I can put the key to the On position and open to hood to hear if the fuel pump is running. With the engine off, there is a distinct sound of fuel running through the pressure regulator up on top of the engine. So far with this mod, I have not had any no start issues.

Bad Fuel Pump As Simple As That. The Not So Simple Fact Was Having It Happen 300 Miles Away From Home. Thanks Cdan For The Parts. I Would Suggest As Pm Or As A Back Up Everyone Has A Back Up Fuel Pump If You Are Hovering In The 130k And Up Mileage Range. They Are Very Uncommon At Parts Stores. Cdan Is The Best Option And Best Price Around. I Was 6-7 Days Out At Napa.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom