Real time help needed FJ40 F engine manifold (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, doing some work on a '66-'67 FJ40 with an F engine. Took the manifold and carb off for a rebuild and because the manifold had an apparent leak.

Rebuilt the carb, cleaned up the manifold and got some new gaskets and a new carb insulator.

I'm trying to re-install the manifold and there are two studs coming from the head that go into the near and far ends of the manifolds. The rest of the manifold is held on with bolts and clamps that go into the head.

When I set the manifold in place on those two studs from the head, the holes on the intake manifold do not line up with the holes on the head. They are about 1/8 to 1/4 inch too high.

Could this be the wrong manifold for this engine that was swapped out by a PO? Anyone have pics of what the '66-'67 manifolds should look like? (one barrel carb with the three piece gasket).

Any help appreciated.

:cheers:

This would be your F135 intake, distinguished from all subsequent by being iron.
DSCN5981 (Small).JPG

Here's the firewall end of everything in place. It's the exhaust manifold that hangs on the end studs.
DSCN5982 (Small).JPG

The parts look correct based on your pics Dave, thanks for posting those.

Is it common for the intake to heat and warp out of shape to the extent I described? It had been run for some time, apparently, without the three rings between the intake and the head.

Guess I'm not sure what you mean by high. If you mean that you can't get it flat against the head, well, maybe. 1/4 inch if it was just on there seems tremendous. If it just isn't lined up, well, I think that's even less likely at that level. Seems like you are missing something.

I'm pretty sure (it's been a couple years since I was in there) mine doesn't have the rings, either. And it doesn't seem to miss them, so far.

Can you take a pic?

My mistake, the intake holes on the manifold are all too low, not high. I'll take some pics and post them up.

ok, I took some pics:

first pics, some numbers:

164007347-S.jpg

164007620-S.jpg

164007740-S.jpg

Next pics illustrate where the head alignes to the manifold (intake holes round, exhaust square). Front, middle and rear, in that order:

164007031-S.jpg

164006898-S.jpg

164007148-S.jpg

Seeing the marks on the manifold where the gasket was seated show why there was a leak I guess.

Looks like that one warped. Guess that's what the rings are for.....

Martin, that's definitely too far off, even if you don't run the intake rings. :eek:

IIRC, I put a round file in the end holes of my exhaust manifold to get a little more 'wiggle' room when I was putting my manifold set together on the LWB 45.
Before you do that tho, I'd be wondering what the exhaust port positioning will end up like when you move the intakes into place.

And what about a 'meeting' point somewhere in between that gets both intakes and exhausts close enough to seal? I think I would make a few 'dry' runs without gaskets to do some ciphering on where you'll end up. Heck you could do most of that even easier if you just pulled those end studs out temporarily.

Best

Mark A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom