REAL TIME HELP!!! 80 won't start, stuck in Moab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

nakman

addict.
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.gamiviti.com
Guys, fellow mudder and Rising Sun member Corbet is stuck in Moab, 80 won't start. Symptoms are very similar to what has been referenced in this thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/271084-crank-no-start.html

discharge warning light came on. went off, back on. pulled over to check under hood. vehicle was running fine. would not restart. no spark. here is where gets weird. when you turn key to ignition hot the CEL doen not light and I can't put trans in neutral. Brake shift interlock will not disengage.

engine turns over. all fuses are good.

posted this from my cell phone. If you have answers people are manning the lines please call direct. 970 nine 46 - 3six22

Only catch is, his only internet connection is his phone, and it doesn't load ih8mud well, only the RS site. So to help, you need to first log in to the RS forum, then post up there, here is a longer thread about it that starts with the quoted post above real time help on side of road now - Rising Sun Member Forums

Or just call him, thanks. :cheers:

My truck did the same thing once. In may case it was a failed crimp connector on the harness that feeds the fuse box and subsequently the fuse the feeds the ecu. The crimp was a factory one and is just below the carbon can. Give the harness a shake and see if it helps.

Sorry not much use, but I'd pick up a simple volt/ohm meter if he doesn't already have one handy.

Rick his number is in that quoted post above, albeit somewhat cryptic. 970 nine 46 - 3six22 thanks for your help!

Also an update:

Wincher

Okay, as per Corbet's request, here is an update...

He got done with dinner and on a whim tried the lights, and they came on. So he tried to start it and it started but the Check engine light came on upon starting then went away (could just simply be indicating that the ECU is getting power) but the discharge light came on and stayed on. Which is the reason he pulled over in the first place and how all this started.

He needs a simple way to check the alt to see what its doing or not doing and the vehicle location of AM2

I am looking for it as well

I talked with Corbet and his alternator isn't outputting as he did finally get it started. A new alternator should take care of his problems

It took me a while but I finally deciphered the phone number

:cheers: Rick you rock.

While it does appear that Rick does in fact rock....(over 11k posts geez!!!) Corb is not outta the woods (rocks) yet.

It now seems that the alt is throwing tons of charge, its just not getting where it needs to go...

17.86 at the alt
but
battery is getting 12.1

????

where's it going?

I'm already home. Sorry can't be much help.

I second Dan's thread recommendation. Check the wire going to the stud on the alternator very carefully and make sure the wire is good too.

WTF?!?

I spoke to Corbet ~10am this morning when I was packing up. He was going to ride his dirt bike.

Did the problem just surface this afternoon?

He ran Kane Creek yesterday and didn't mention any issues. However, running that trail requires submersing yer Cruiser in water for half the day...:hmm:

voltage reg? 17 plus at the alt is high I think, and 12 at the batt while charging is low, both ought to be 14.2 or so..

good luck:eek:

2X on CDans post, it seems spot on. I re-posted the pertinant replies by TrickyT and photos to Rising Sun so he could see them (phone is only web access and is only loading RS reliably) We'll see if that's it. Man, I love mud.;)

WTF?!?

I spoke to Corbet ~10am this morning when I was packing up. He was going to ride his dirt bike.

Did the problem just surface this afternoon?

He ran Kane Creek yesterday and didn't mention any issues. However, running that trail requires submersing yer Cruiser in water for half the day...:hmm:

Actually he ran Hells Revenge Sat...I think Kane was Friday.

If the alternator is outputting 17v and you're only seeing 12v at the battery you have a bad connection somewhere.

The heavy wire on the alt. goes to the fuse block on the drivers side fender to AM1 which is a 50amp fuse. From there it goes to the AM1 FL black box next to the battery where it lugs onto that blue fusable link to the terminal on the battery.

Simply do your voltage checks along that route to find the bad conection.

Remember that having continuity doesn't always mean you have a good connection especially when you're talking high amp lines. so do this while the truck is running.

0504090854.jpg

By trapper50cal at 2009-05-04

Here is what Corbet thinks is the issue, looks a lot like the thread Cdan refered to and what TrickyT thought was the issue....

Corbet wanted me to post this pix and ask if people agreed that it was the culprit.

After he cleaned it off and re-installed, the discharge light went off but it wouldn't idle in Park and at stop lights, but after a while of running it has begun to idle. I suspect the wire below the connection is like the TrickyT photos and is suspect as well....

What do you all think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom