REAL TIME HELP!!! 80 won't start, stuck in Moab (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

0504090854.jpg

By trapper50cal at 2009-05-04

Here is what Corbet thinks is the issue, looks a lot like the thread Cdan refered to and what TrickyT thought was the issue....

Corbet wanted me to post this pix and ask if people agreed that it was the culprit.

After he cleaned it off and re-installed, the discharge light went off but it wouldn't idle in Park and at stop lights, but after a while of running it has begun to idle. I suspect the wire below the connection is like the TrickyT photos and is suspect as well....

What do you all think?

is this just the cpu relearning?

I made it home today without any additional problems.

Turns out that the crimp there at the alt terminal was the problem. With all the other computer caused issues it was not the first place I went. After starting all over this morning it was all pretty simple. It showed continuity before I found it but did not charge the battery. Proving a full visual inspection is required. I re-crimped the connection and the truck returned to normal.

So later this week I will strip the harness back and see how much needs to be replaced.

Thank you to everyone involved. I owe you all a few beers.

glad everything is working Corbet. While checking for continuity and taking voltage readings are common troubleshooting practice they aren't 100% certain. On those rare occasions such as this one, even though they checked out they couldn't conduct the needed amps for the circuit to function.

Me and a couple guys bought an 80 from a dealership that they couldn't fix for a $1000.00. Similar scenario. The truck would turn over but not start. We had voltage at the fuel pump but not the amps to drive it. Turned out to be a corroded connector under the rear driver side door sill.

These types of electrical problems are real tough to find and you and the guys helping you did a great job at figuring it out. :cheers:

What made this more difficult to figure out were all the other things not working as a result. When it did not start I went through the... "for an engine to run it needs compression, fuel, and ignition". When I determined it had neither fuel or ignition that sent me off on a tangent. Only after it started raining Sunday night were we forced start fresh in the morning. Sometimes stepping back and forgetting everything you already know about the problem and starting with some basics pays off. This time it did.

Glad you made it home, Corbet. The picture of the crimped connector in post #20 shows a definite problem. That's not clean shinny copper wire anymore, but rather oxidized junk that will have high resistance and corresponding low current flow. Replace the bad section of wire with new and crimp on another connector and you should be good to go for a long time. Sorry I wasn't still in Moab to help you out, but I high-tailed it back to Calif just in time to beat the storm after an outstanding 13 days of Utah trails.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom