Re: Auto Transmission fluid (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
J -

I believe we have the very same FSM... look at the bottom of page AT-34 for Toyota's recommended procedure for checking the ATF level. You may well have just not warmed it up enough.

If you only replaced what you drained out, you cannot be too far off. If it comes to it, I would drain from the plug on the tranny pan.

R -

Jim,

The general consensus is to drive the car for about 20 miles or 15 min. for the transmission fully warmed up. You could loosen the tranny bolt to slowly drain it out if overfilled.

Frank.

On most American cars the tranny is cooled by the water radiator. This setup actually heats the oil up. On our LCs we have a separate tranny cooler which actually cools the fluid so you don't get that hot feeling when touching the fluid even after driving for some time. This said, the fluid level doesn't change that much since there is little to no expansion from heating.

I've driven the car for a good 20 miles to warn up the oil and the level is right in the middle of where it should be when hot. Thing is, it doesn't go down much (if at all) when cold.

I think Rick may have the answer. I'll keep an eye on it. It's good to know that I might have done the job right first time...

Cheers, Jim :beer:

I checked this out yesterday when I had to get my truck ready for my wife to drive it 2500 miles this week. My tranny fluid was right on full cold when it was cold. I drove it for about 10 minutes and it was low hot. I drove it for another 15 minutes and it was full cold.
It definately moves quite a bit. Mine is the later 95 trans. Maybe there's a difference. :dunno:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom