Raspy / bearing whine at 2000ish rpm (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have 2012 gx460 and been trying to diagnose a raspy / almost bearing sound when you rev around 2,000 rpm (most notable), almost sounds like a s***ty supercharger. When you rev it quick and the rpms fall it’a the loudest.

I’ve taken off the drive belt and the noise went away.

While doing the valley plate I went ahead and did the belt, tensioner, idler, fan bracket, water pump. My 470 was making a similar noise, but more constant and that ended up being the alternator, so I swapped out the alternator on the 460.

So now I am left to the compressor and power steering pump.

I am oddly thinking it’s the steering pump, I can feel some slight vibration at it when the engine is cold and idling higher. The noise does not go up or down if you are turning the wheel.

Any input appreciated.

Well I was gonna say alternator... PS pump is a possibility though.

Well I was gonna say alternator... PS pump is a possibility though.

I was quite disappointed when I started it up after the alternator swap and voila, no change…..

I went ahead and ordered a $100 junkyard 57k mile power steering pump from a gx that was rear ended. I would have ordered a remanufactured but couldn’t find a good name brand one, and new is $380.

I recently resolved a cold start whine/squeal by replacing the tensioner and fan bracket. Those bearings were both shot! Since you already replaced those it seems much less likely.

Tuning in to hear how the power steering pump swap sounds.

Last edited:
Also remember, there are a lot of crappy auto parts out there these days... it is possible that one of your new installs are bad.

Reactions: r2m
Problem fixed!!!!!

Threw a low mile used ps pump and it did not totally fix the problem. The fluid was pretty burnt smelling, and when I had it all put together the sound was slightly better.

with a last ditch look on rock auto, ordered a new fan clutch. Just threw it in and that has seem to fixed the problem in neutral, park, and driving around the neighborhood.

Ordered a Hayden heavy duty fan clutch, which was an aisin clutch in the box.

Last edited:
Fantastic! Good to know about the budget Aisin replacement.
I really wouldn't have bet on it being the fan clutch.
Can you feel a difference comparing them side by side?

Fantastic! Good to know about the budget Aisin replacement.
I really wouldn't have bet on it being the fan clutch.
Can you feel a difference comparing them side by side?
Off the truck the bad one feels completely fine, and nearly the same as the new one. New one feels like it has slightly more resistance.

Off the truck the bad one feels completely fine, and nearly the same as the new one. New one feels like it has slightly more resistance.
Will keep that in mind should I pick up a raspy sound. Again, great fix!
I see Rockauto sells Aisin branded, as well as the Hayden and Four Seasons that clearly say Aisin in the photos. Good stuff.

If you decide to take the old one apart, please let us know what you find!

Have you tried turning the steering pump by hand and see how it feels, e.g.: loose (like sloppy bearings), grindy, noisy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom