Random fuel delivery issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I have a 1984 FJ45 with a 2F and stock carb. It occasionally (like after I add carb cleaner to tank, or hit really wicked rut in a Lima road) loses all fuel delivery through what seems to be the main jet. Even at these times, it starts and idles perfectly, and to remove the offending corpus from traffic I can motivate it by hammering the accelerator WOT. Stopping anywhere in between idle and wide open stalls the engine - presumably due to a lack of fuel. If I shut it off and leave it alone for 20-40 minutes it will behave as if nothing ever was amiss. So I think it is gunk somewhere, but is it in the tank, old fuel lines coming apart, or in the carb itself? New fuel filter has been installed, fuel is at appropriate level in sight glass, and the Troopy goes anywhere I take it (dunes, mountains, river crossings), but can randomly leave me red faced dropping the wife off at Starbucks... Thanks for any help getting quickly to the issue.

It could be a malfunctioning carb solenoid valve or a fuel delivery issue. However I suspect a faulty solenoid valve.

OK, so I found a half dozen fingernail clipping sized slivers of rust and other debris in the bowl - likely candidates for the fuel restriction. Also the accelerator pump had shed its gasket and lodged itself into a fixed position that was preventing the throttle from returning to idle - rebuilt it temporarily with electrical tape and wire (actual parts ordered), amazing results = acceleration, not just extra noise when throttled!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom