Fuel Delivery Issues (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am still very new to working on cars, so Posing a question to the group… I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel line, gas tank and carburetor on my 71 40. Weber carb, OEM fuel pump and gas tank. Running all soft fuel lines current, it they are new. I can prime the carb and fuel pressure is 6lbs. I can drive for a mile or so without any issues but then the engine loses fuel. I am waiting on a new gas cap, but have a temporary one(plastic bag and rubber band) on it now. Any suggestions to look into would be greatly appreciated.

Have you replaced the fuel filter? They can get clogged and mimic fuel starvation symptoms.

Have you replaced the fuel filter? They can get clogged and mimic fuel starvation symptoms.
I replaced it prior to replacing the fuel pump; I can get another one tomorrow and try that out. Would that cause there to not be any fuel visible in the filter? I replaced the fuel filter with a clear one.

When you say prime the carb do you mean by cranking the engine, or physically filling the fuel bowl in the carb with fuel? Or dumping fuel into the top of the carb?
Are you sure the new fuel pump works in other words?

When you say prime the carb do you mean by cranking the engine, or physically filling the fuel bowl in the carb with fuel? Or dumping fuel into the top of the carb?
Are you sure the new fuel pump works in other words?
I’m priming the carb by removing the fuel line coming from the fuel pump, pouring a small amount of fuel in the primary side of the carb and cranking the engine. It takes about 10 seconds for a 16oz water battle to fill with fuel at that point.

I would replace it just to be sure. Debris from your new tank could have caused it to clog.
I replaced it prior to replacing the fuel pump; I can get another one tomorrow and try that out. Would that cause there to not be any fuel visible in the filter? I replaced the fuel filter with a clear one.

I’m priming the carb by removing the fuel line coming from the fuel pump, pouring a small amount of fuel in the primary side of the carb and cranking the engine. It takes about 10 seconds for a 16oz water battle to fill with fuel at that point.
You should test your fuel pump. Pull the fuel line off the carb and stick it into a bucket and crank the engine and see if fuel is actually making it to the carb.

Sounds like you are able to run on the fuel you hand primed into your carb fuel bowl, but after a mile or two you've exhausted the fuel supply and have not been replacing it via the fuel pump.

Let us know what you find👍🏽

You should test your fuel pump. Pull the fuel line off the carb and stick it into a bucket and crank the engine and see if fuel is actually making it to the carb.

Sounds like you are able to run on the fuel you hand primed into your carb fuel bowl, but after a mile or two you've exhausted the fuel supply and have not been replacing it via the fuel pump.

Let us know what you find👍🏽
Disconnected the fuel line at carp and cranked the engine for 10 seconds… I got 6oz of fuel in a water bottle, so it seems the pump is working. Changed the fuel filter, and let the engine come up to temperature. Tried driving, and same thing, made it about a mile. Engine is getting pretty hot, so brought it home, let the engine cool, jacked up the front end up and removed the radiator cap, cranked the engine and let it run to see if there needed to be air bled from coolant system, went back out for another drive and same situation.

What am I missing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom