Radiator hose blew off of new Mishimoto radiator. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
2004 LC w/288,000 miles. My original radiator recently went out and I replaced it with a Mishimoto. I also replaced both radiator hoses, clamps, thermostat all OEM including a complete flush with Toyota pink antifreeze. After driving for about 10 miles steam started coming out of the engine hood and when I pulled over I found that the drivers side radiator hose had blown off of the radiator and the other end of the hose was starting to come off of the inlet.

I called Mishimoto and the tech suggested that I go to the screw type hose clamp upon my prompting him. He didn’t think it was a faulty new radiator cap because he said he’s only seen that happen 2 times in 20 years. I did put a dab of dielectric on the hoses before installing them but it was a very small amount and the Mishimoto tech didn’t think that was a contributing factor.

I just finished taking everything back apart, cleaning the new hoses with dish soap and hot water, wiping the inside of the hoses with acetone to remove and trace of the dielectric, re-installing the hoses with stainless steel screw type hose clamps from NAPA (torqued to 4.5 Nm) and replacing the 3 gallons of lost Toyota pink fluid at $25 a gallon.

The Mishimoto radiator cap has a 19# rating. Anyone know what the Toyota OEM cap is rated at? Any ideas? Thanks

D6EC1FF1-414C-4F57-893D-F2D7337F6B61.jpeg

1E5A02ED-2682-410F-98B3-1A5BB1CC04E4.jpeg

A4427942-E290-44E8-AD11-9FECA632CC94.jpeg

No more lube...install them dry and they shouldn't have any issues going forward. I've done exactly the same thing (on a Mishimoto even), with the same results. OEM clamps will hold the OEM hoses on a Mishimoto just fine. Those band clamps should also be just fine if you'd rather not redo that part.

I thought about using the OEM clamps after cleaning everything but decided on the band clamps trying to eliminate all possible causes of the failure. I’m still wondering what the OEM radiator cap pressure rating is and if that could be a contributing factor. Thanks for your response.

Sorry, skipped right over that. Stock I think is 108 kPa, or around 16psi.

Thanks again. That helps. I’ll call Mishimoto in the morning and ask them why they use the 19 pound pressure cap and if I can go down to a 16 pound cap.

I run the OEM radiator cap on that Mishimoto radiator. As for the hose clamps, when I did mine, I used new OEM hose clamps. No issues.

I would suggest going with the stock radiator cap.

Hose likely blew from combo of 19PSI cap and greased inside hose.

I"d use small amount of watery dish soap if I must, as a lube for hose ends. OEM 16 PSI cap and OEM clamps.

Screw clamps will work. But they'll eat into hose and are not constant force.

This "dab of dielectric on the hoses before installing"

Should be dry: coolant is OK, but never grease. I once used antiseize on the hilux radiator and after installing and inspecting (before test drive) I noticed the sliding of the hose!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom