Radiator/AC condenser interference advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve been trying to sort this one out for a few months now, but in the pictures below, you can see my vintage air condenser mounting plate to the radiator is not straight, and therefore binds underneath my hood ever so slightly (on passenger side). I have a small piece of rubber molding right now to prevent any paint damage, but clearly the mounting plate to the condenser is taking a beating.

The hood is straight and all the body panels are straight and I’m just trying to find the easiest way of fixing this. The first thought was to grind away a bit of that mounting plate so that it clears but I’m not sure I’d be happy with that 100%. Maybe make a clean wedge cut to the bracket? It’s a huge task to re-position the entire radiator back, but maybe not.

Thoughts?

IMG_4287.jpeg

IMG_4289.jpeg

IMG_4288.jpeg

or grind a little on the underside of the hood? just enough to remove the interference. grinding the mount for the cooler seems like it would be less invasive.

I don't see any radiator support rods in the pictures. Their purpose was to support the top of the radiator and keep things squared up.

I don't see any radiator support rods in the pictures. Their purpose was to support the top of the radiator and keep things squared up.
There are rods there and I wanted to be very careful not to stress the radiator like @GA Architect did many moons ago - creating a crack in the radiator. The rods are set based on angle and footing so there is minimal
Adjustment there unfortunately.

I’ve attached a couple of pictures of a vintage air install on my 68. My condenser mounts higher and up into the hood bulge. Your radiator looks like it’s sitting to far down….I don’t know if there is a difference between years, but I’d be looking at the radiator mounting frame, and how it’s mounted.
IMG_3770.jpeg
IMG_3772.jpeg
IMG_3771.jpeg

IMG_3769.jpeg

I’ve attached a couple of pictures of a vintage air install on my 68. My condenser mounts higher and up into the hood bulge. Your radiator looks like it’s sitting to far down….I don’t know if there is a difference between years, but I’d be looking at the radiator mounting frame, and how it’s mounted.View attachment 3502872View attachment 3502873View attachment 3502875

View attachment 3502871
Thanks @Mark Jennings for the pics. This is very helpful and have a few ideas now. Not sure why the difference between our installs.

I'm thinking the rad mounts on the frame are slotted abit, maybe there is movement there?

Will check
If not slotted, I would slot it to get the little distance you appear to need.
I finessed mine, but I also have a 350 with an electric fan so I worked to get it all to fit since I wasn't going to rework engine mounts and trans mounts.

If not slotted, I would slot it to get the little distance you appear to need.
I finessed mine, but I also have a 350 with an electric fan so I worked to get it all to fit since I wasn't going to rework engine mounts and trans mounts.
That’s a great idea. I’ll see if I can elongate the mounting holes to slot it lower

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom