Rad Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I think it is about time to get a new rad for my Bj42. Leaking out of the top and looks like the previous owner tried soldering the bejezus out of it.. So where do i find a new rad in Canada preferably?

Take it to a rad shop and see if they can solder on new tanks. I just had mine recored to a 4 core for $350 can. Works great and its damn near a custom rad.

Is $400 for the 4 core or the stock 3 . That lil bugger at the dealer told me $680. I guess you really need to phone around to different dealers!

I'm going to have to get a new rad sometime soon also. I've replaced the original leaky rad with what appeared to be a really nice used one, but the used one started leaking after a while also. The top tank seems to be a common problem with these tanks. Something about the brass tanks being stamped, and that process causing some thin spots on the tank and making that weak area more prone to failure.

I don't want to have to go through this process again. I'm probably also going to swap out my water pump while I'm doing this just to avoid having to do that in the future. I like the idea of a factory rad fitting the way the engineers meant it...but I don't like the design of the tanks in the OEM unit. I've spoken with a local rad shop (the same guy who filled my AC), and he assures me that he can build me a custom tank that will fit like the OEM unit, for about the same or slightly less money. Something to consider...

FWIW, I think JP Toyota quoted me something like $450 for a new OEM 3 core rad. I think ENS in Saskatechwan might have the 4 core versions available...but I'm not sure.

I see coolcruisers.com has some for $209US.. Now If I can just get it here without having to pay all the brokerage fee's would be nice...

well I just sprayed the top where it was leaking with some STOP LEAK eavetrophing and after 6 or 7 coates the leaks are gone... hahahaha for now.. but in the mean time i will look for a new rad..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom