Builds R²M 2013 GX 460 Overland Build (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Here are some photos of it before I mounted it.
20240315_083928.jpg
20240315_083952.jpg

Yes, the picture below is just a black rubberband used to keep tension on the side grips to hold and center the phone.
20240315_083957.jpg
20240315_084004.jpg
20240315_084009.jpg

Here are some screen shots of the solid model in SolidWorks.
If anyone has one of these desk phone chargers by Anker or similar and would like these files, PM me and I'll send you the SW files.
The whole project was printed on a Creality K1 Max in matte black filament.
1710522979356.png

The yellow box holds all the electronics, slides into the green base and clips in. The hole in the yellow box is the blue LED that was on the original charger to show it's plugged in, so I kept it.
1710523037916.png

Below is the exploded view.
1710523270890.png

Good job! That’s awesome. Happy wife=Happy life!!
Absolutely agree! Plus she is usually my navigator so helps when she can load our destination, place her phone in a charging cradle, instead of always being in her hand. Also we only had my one wireless phone cradle and would have to swap out when her battery went low. Now we can both keep our phones charging at the same time while listening to Spotify and running Google Maps.

Last edited:
Wife and I went out to Anza Borrego (desert) for the "super bloom" yesterday. Beautiful 73° F day.

20240317_135943.jpg

20240317_140511.jpg

20240317_153210.jpg

2024-03-17_15-44-10_735.jpg

2024-03-17_14-07-29_257.jpg

Last edited:
This Chollas cactus can actually puncture tire side walls. Very nasty stuff. When we're desert off roading, we're always on the lookout for avoid this on the trail.
20240317_141248.jpg

20240317_141237.jpg

That looks relaxing. Can’t wait to live in the desert real soon.
It was. Brought a bunch of dips, crackers and chips for lunch and some iced tea and just relaxed enjoying the view. We still prefer the beach and/or high country (pine forests), but this is always a nice change!
Where are you looking (desert) if you don't mind posting?

Dip, crackers and chips!! That’s what I’m talking about!

We’re all packed up and ready to go next weekend to tri-cities, Eastern Wa. We’ve been planning on this move for the last 7-8 years and it’s finally happening. Wife and kids are excited. I love farm country.

We have three major rivers that meet in the middle so lots of water time and fishing. Plus the mountains and forests are within a few hours drive.

IMG_1044.jpeg

IMG_9459.jpeg

Dip, crackers and chips!! That’s what I’m talking about!

We’re all packed up and ready to go next weekend to tri-cities, Eastern Wa. We’ve been planning on this move for the last 7-8 years and it’s finally happening. Wife and kids are excited. I love farm country.

We have three major rivers that meet in the middle so lots of water time and fishing. Plus the mountains and forests are within a few hours drive.

View attachment 3585372

View attachment 3585375
My wife and I also love being around places with water, hence the beach and high country with lakes. The desert is okay for short runs, but wouldn't want to live there or do several weeks.
What fruit is that? The leaves kind of look like peach/nectarine, but wrong time of year and wrong color.

Last edited:
My wife and I also love being around places with water, hence the beach and high country with lakes. The desert is okay for short runs, but wouldn't want to live there or do several weeks.
We lived in our area for the last 30 years. We’re ready for a change. It rains so much here it’s getting depressing haha. Now we’re going to live somewhere with 300 days of sunshine. It’s not for everyone but I’m sure we’ll enjoy it 🤙

Those are massive rainier cherrys.

We lived in our area for the last 30 years. We’re ready for a change. It rains so much here it’s getting depressing haha. Now we’re going to live somewhere with 300 days of sunshine. It’s not for everyone but I’m sure we’ll enjoy it 🤙

Those are massive rainier cherrys.
Wow! Those are cherrys??
About sunshine, that's funny because when we have those really dry Winters and it's sunny literally every day and then Summer, I tell my wife I can only stand sooo many days of paradise, I want to see some weather!!! Rain, snow, thick clouds, just something, anything other than bright sun and blue sky's every day!!
But this year we're ready for Summer. We've had a great Winter with some good storms and now we're heading up to Tahoe for a couple of weeks with some weather coming in, so I'm happy.

This Chollas cactus can actually puncture tire side walls. Very nasty stuff. When we're desert off roading, we're always on the lookout for avoid this on the trail.

Haven't been to Anza Borrego since the late 70's. This time of year (near Easter) were beautiful. Would run over from San Diego when had a full or long weekend off.

If that is the cacti I remember we used to call it jumping cactus. It didn't really jump but the needles are longer then you think and thin so hard to see where they really end. Remember getting it in my kneecap once. Shipmate and friend of mine was from Anaheim and always carried a pair of needle nose pliers in the truck. Found out why on my first walk.

Reactions: r2m

Haven't been to Anza Borrego since the late 70's. This time of year (near Easter) were beautiful. Would run over from San Diego when had a full or long weekend off.

If that is the cacti I remember we used to call it jumping cactus. It didn't really jump but the needles are longer then you think and thin so hard to see where they really end. Remember getting it in my kneecap once. Shipmate and friend of mine was from Anaheim and always carried a pair of needle nose pliers in the truck. Found out why on my first walk.
On one of our (4x4) club outings, a buddy's wife somehow stuck herself with one. Luckily I had my Leatherman Surge on me and was able to pull the quills, but she did squeal a little when I pulled.

A little tip if you should ever get stuck with cactus, especially the type where you can't see the barbs stuck in you.
If you're out on a trail, use duct tape or any tape you have on you and lay it over the area with the needles, then pull it off. The adhesive should remove a lot of them, maybe even all of them. When you get home, get some hair removal wax and do the same. Put the hot liquid wax on the area affected and remove the wax. That should remove all the needles.

A little snow in Tahoe.
2024-03-29_13-31-28_050.jpg
20240329_133128.jpg

A few shots of the entry to the Rubicon Trail.
2024-03-29_13-48-32_094.jpg
20240329_134936.jpg
20240329_135014.jpg

NO we did NOT do the trail. Aside from having too much snow, my wife will not allow us to off road anything difficult unless we're with at least one other rig.
Also, we're up here to ski, not off road this trip.
If you can, zoom in on some of the signage. If you don't know already, the Rubicon trail starts in the middle of this neighborhood! You go up this trail about half a mile to the staging area and air down, untrailer your rig or what ever before you hit the real trail.

Anyone else have issues with the parking sensors beeping on wet rainy days?
Seem to have this issue only with the front sensors when it rains and the front end, bumper, winch, all the sensors, gets thoroughly soaked. Every time I come to a stop or slow to less than 5 MPH, they start beeping when wet.
Then when it drys up, it's all fine and works as it should, but when it's wet, I need to turn off the sensors.
I like using the sensors because of how far the front bumper and swing-out is. It helps quite a bit especially when parallel parking and scoohing up to that car behind me.

Wonder if I but some globs of silicone on the back side if it'll help??

Anyone else have issues with the parking sensors beeping on wet rainy days?
Seem to have this issue only with the front sensors when it rains and the front end, bumper, winch, all the sensors, gets thoroughly soaked. Every time I come to a stop or slow to less than 5 MPH, they start beeping when wet.
Then when it drys up, it's all fine and works as it should, but when it's wet, I need to turn off the sensors.
I like using the sensors because of how far the front bumper and swing-out is. It helps quite a bit especially when parallel parking and scoohing up to that car behind me.

Wonder if I but some globs of silicone on the back side if it'll help??
Never had an issue in the rain, but when I did a river crossing and had mass amount of water splash on them, it set them off.

Reactions: r2m
I used to think it was just road debris like a leaf, mud, grime, etc. covering them. So I'd always wipe them off. Then I was thinking it was the water droplets over the sensor causing them to beep, and again I'd try to keep them wiped off. Well, none of that worked out so I'm having to assume that it's water getting into the sensor somehow.

I’ve had that randomly happen over the years in really wet weather or after a carwash.. it has always gone away in short order so never considered parking sensor replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom