Builds R²M 2013 GX 460 Overland Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would never let mine get to these limits but this is how the AT in 460 handles excessive AT heat

IMO: Unless one decides to take coolant loop of AT lines out of the picture one is always going to get around that 190-205 range while on extended drives. You have coolant loop at the thermostatic switch off AT as well as the cooler built into radiator.
Coming from the 470 world - with the upgraded external cooler mine runs below radiator temp and is usually 20-30F cooler than it was pre-cooler upgrade. So it did make a big difference, at least for mine.

Could the thermostatic switch be unplugged? I do block of 2/3 of my cooler with a rubber sheet for winter driving, as it will definitely under-cooled otherwise (temps of like 120 when it's below freezing). I just pulled the sheet off for warm-season driving.

Reactions: r2m
I run mine pinned open all the time.

Side note… if one does do an AT fluid change out through the cooler lines near radiator (I do not) you need to make sure you pin open or you won’t get any fluid flow until temps are over 200

’14+ also have a thermal degradation parameter you can read with TS or OBD Link/Fusion

1_65322bb3590175f13c39c674cec5fc6a7d3a3f82.png

Reading some of the posts about battery voltage, it looks like the normal voltage with the engine running should be just over 14 volts?
Both my batteries only read 13.8 VDC, but very consistently. I running two Odyssey P1200 batteries, one is house (winch, fridge, lights, HAM, etc.) the other runs all the factory stuff and starter.
Just replaced one battery about 2 months ago.
13.8 VDC vs 14+ VDC, is there a difference? Potato, patahto?
These batteries are too expensive to not be getting full life out of them.

According to this, 13.8 would be fine for a float charge but not for recharging depleted batteries:

Of course the question is, what was the charge state of your batteries when you measured the charging voltage?

My understanding is that the GX/Toyota charging system does vary it's charging voltage depending on the charge of the battery. So if your batteries are well charged, 13.8 would be appropriate. But I have also read that the GX/Toyota charging system does not go much higher than 13.8, and some like to see 14.3 or so to recharge depleted AGM batteries. There are a few mods that can do this:

According to this, 13.8 would be fine for a float charge but not for recharging depleted batteries:

Of course the question is, what was the charge state of your batteries when you measured the charging voltage?

My understanding is that the GX/Toyota charging system does vary it's charging voltage depending on the charge of the battery. So if your batteries are well charged, 13.8 would be appropriate. But I have also read that the GX/Toyota charging system does not go much higher than 13.8, and some like to see 14.3 or so to recharge depleted AGM batteries. There are a few mods that can do this:

Awesome! I'll look into your suggestions.
I do have a new (installed 2021) 240 amp alternator so I know there's no issues with the alternator.

I am going to do the diode mod with a fuse on my GX. The parts were ~$20 on Amazon.

Gave a guy a jump in a parking lot yesterday and LOVE having an AGM battery. So much more power than a normal flooded lead-acid.

I am going to do the diode mod with a fuse on my GX. The parts were ~$20 on Amazon.

Gave a guy a jump in a parking lot yesterday and LOVE having an AGM battery. So much more power than a normal flooded lead-acid.

I'm getting an AGM battery and planning to do something similar - install a Littelfuse diode in series with a 7.5A fuse, in place of the factory fuse.
There's a lengthy thread about the options here: Toyota-4Runner.org - https://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-gen-t4rs/216665-voltage-booster-31m-agm-battery.html.
And a CL thread here: Alternator Voltage Booster for AGM Battery - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gx-2nd-gen-2010-present/950694-alternator-voltage-booster-for-agm-battery.html

Why is suggested for AGM (like Odyssey batteries) batteries?

Why is suggested for AGM (like Odyssey batteries) batteries?
They supposedly need a slightly higher voltage than a flooded lead acid battery for charging and battery life. My GX usually has around 13.6 volts while driving.

However - I'm rethinking this. Put my $30 Amazon tester on the battery for grins and the health looks excellent. I will continue to monitor and only do the diode mod if the SOH/SOC starts consistently dropping. Also the Odyssey is blowing past the rated CCA by over 150 amps!
20230326_175653.jpg

I would never let mine get to these limits but this is how the AT in 460 handles excessive AT heat

IMO: Unless one decides to take coolant loop of AT lines out of the picture one is always going to get around that 190-205 range while on extended drives. You have coolant loop at the thermostatic switch off AT as well as the cooler built into radiator.

View attachment 3280836

I am just trying to improve the reliability odds with drain and fills at 30k mile intervals. It’s a well debated topic with lots of opinions.

trans_life_expectancy.jpg
Based on the number of gxs out there that have gone over 100k miles and never had a fluid change, I'm thinking that graph is overly conservative, or assumes non-synthetic oil.

With that said, the fluid that came out of mine at around 15,000 miles when I installed the cooler looked worse than I thought it would , though appearance doesn't really matter much with modern synthetic fluids.

If you are draining and filling at a 30k interval, I would think that any issues you have will NOT be fluid related. Just make sure to follow the level check procedure, overfilling is probably worse for the tranny than never changing the fluid.

Unfortunately the Toyota WS is not synthetic. It's just priced like it is.

I think that back road or off road use with more low gear steep hills will heat and wear the fluid more than the usual GX suburban mom driving. I looked for a GX with fluid changes in its service history and will be doing them myself. I've changed the fluid in a number of cars including DSG transmissions and it's really not that hard to do. Especially if you have a way to monitor the fluid temp when setting the level, which if you're off roading you probably should be doing anyhow.

+1… very well versed on procedure at this point as well
If you are draining and filling at a 30k interval, I would think that any issues you have will NOT be fluid related. Just make sure to follow the level check procedure, overfilling is probably worse for the tranny than never changing the fluid.

Reactions: LWC
Especially if you have a way to monitor the fluid temp when setting the level, which if you're off roading you probably should be doing anyhow.
Yep, one of the reasons for dropping some coin on that OBDII dongle and app.

Went to see what all the fuss was about with the "super bloom".
Have to admit, it was pretty cool. Although, no dirt roads, trails or anything else challenging.
Sucks how people have to leave their mark. Like ANYBODY else really appreciates it???? (other than the narcissistic idiot who did it.)
20230414_114313.jpg

20230414_132041.jpg

20230414_132254.jpg

20230414_132443.jpg

20230414_135649.jpg

Last edited:
Went to see what all the fuss was about with the "super bloom".
Have to admit, it was pretty cool. Although, no dirt roads, trails or anything else challenging.
Sucks how people have to leave their mark. Like ANYBODY else really appreciates it???? (other than the narcissistic idiot who did it.)
View attachment 3302483
View attachment 3302485
View attachment 3302486
View attachment 3302487
View attachment 3302489
I sure hope it’s still pretty when we drive back to California in June. I had never seen California so wet and green.

I sure hope it’s still pretty when we drive back to California in June. I had never seen California so wet and green.
Seriously. It's been like 30 years since we had this much rain in SOCAL. Enjoy the green while it lasts...probably going to have a rough fire season this fall when the santa ana comes.

Nice pictures! Was that grafitti up at the top of palm canyon?
It's Ortega Falls off of Ortega Hwy (HWY 74). It's a nice little hike too!

Don't mean to rain on your trip, but by June, we'll probably be seeing everything start to dry out.
But you should still have a beautiful drive!

Seriously. It's been like 30 years since we had this much rain in SOCAL. Enjoy the green while it lasts...probably going to have a rough fire season this fall when the santa ana comes.
Coming down the 5 FWY back from Tahoe last month (395 HWY was still closed) it was like being back in Ireland again! It brought a whole new meaning to the color green!
Yup, Santa Ana winds with high temp's and all this green drying up is a recipe for fires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom